Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dog poisoned at Crufts

Canine competitor 'poisoned' at Crufts: Investigation after dog dies - CNN.com
    London (CNN)An investigation is underway after a canine competitor died the day after taking part in Crufts, one of the world's most prestigious dog shows. An autopsy indicates he was poisoned.

Three-year-old Irish setter Thendara Satisfaction -- known to his owners as Jagger -- took second prize in his class at the event in Birmingham, central England, on Thursday.
    But just a day later, after returning home to Belgium, he became ill. Owner-breeder Dee Millington-Bott told CNN Jagger was "finding it hard to breathe" so a veterinarian was called, but the dog died before he could get there.
    "The vet thought it was suspicious, so carried out an autopsy," she said. "They found cubes of beef in his stomach that had at least two types of poison inside. Pieces of beef had been stitched together so that the poison didn't come out.
    "He had enough in his system to kill a horse, according to the vet," said Millington-Bott, who is at a loss to explain why Jagger was targeted: "We can't fathom why anyone would do this."
    "I've been doing this for 30-odd years and I think I would have to give up on everything if I believed that someone who shows and breeds dogs would kill a dog. We all do this because we love dogs. If you hate me for being successful, then stick a brick through my window or something. But why would you involve a dog?"

Toxicology tests are being carried out. The vet has reported the dog's death to Belgian police, and Millington-Bott said she would likely contact West Midlands Police in the UK too.
    A spokesperson for the Kennel Club, organizers of the Crufts dog show, said there had never been such an incident in the history of the competition, which dates back to 1891.
    "We are deeply shocked and saddened to hear this terrible news and our heartfelt sympathies go out to Jagger's owners," said Caroline Kisko, secretary of the Kennel Club, in a statement.
    "We understand that a toxicology report is due next week and that this matter has been reported to the police - we will work with them and help however we can."
    Television personality and writer Clare Balding, who hosts TV coverage of Crufts in the UK, took to Twitter to express her shock at the news: "Everyone at #Crufts2015 horrified at death of Irish Setter Jagger & post-mortem found poison. Awful for all concerned," she tweeted.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

That is awful.

Omg

Read that earlier today, so sad. Unfortunately, it's not the first time we hear of a dog poisoned at a dog show. People are so mean. I really hope they will find out who did it.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I just hugged Mocha. I hate some ​people.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

I don't know what would be worse, if the culprits are caught and found to be other competitors, or found to be animal rights nut jobs. It's getting to the point where you need security around your show dogs.

Such a sad ordeal. The worst is it would be so easy to do. The dogs are benched, and you really can't watch them 100% of the time. There were a fair number of dogs in soft crates on the benches, and quite frankly I think it would be a very good idea to do this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (03-08-2015)

This is horrible. I just can't understand why someone would do this.

Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
    animal rights nut jobs.
    What kind of idiots are these? Fighting for animal rights by killing them?
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Yes. Plenty of animal rights extremists want all show dogs dead. They want no pets period.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

barry581 (03-09-2015), Charlotte K. (03-11-2015), POPTOP (03-08-2015), Sue (03-08-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos