Benellis second class

I'm so proud of him. He gets a little distracted with the other dogs but once I can get his focus he totally ignores them. Last night we worked on down stays, sit stays, coming to you and sitting front, and leave it. Also worked on healing and getting the sit. I found out what I was doing wrong he would be be looking at me and before I would say let's go I moved my arm forward indicating to him to move forward. Once I kept my arm at my side he sat and waited. He did amazing at leave it ,he even surprised me by leaving a piece of beggin strip on his paw. We've been practicing a lot in the house now that the weather is starting to get nicer and the snow is melting I'll be able to get him out for walks more. We've been practicing in the yard a lot.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

barry581 (03-09-2015), Charlotte K. (03-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by sheltieluver View Post
    I found out what I was doing wrong he would be be looking at me and before I would say let's go I moved my arm forward indicating to him to move forward. Once I kept my arm at my side he sat and waited.
    So smart! They even learn "the signal before the signal". He's doing very well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (03-11-2015)

Thank you!! It really annoys me when people say that oh my dog won't do that or can't do that. I've only had him almost 4 months and he's older not a puppy. He's picks up things very quickly. A lot of work but totally worth it!! We are going to try to make him a therapy dog which my trainer has no doubt he should pass.

Great update! It's amazing how he is reading your body. Why not toss in some hand signals now along with the verbal command. It would be great if he is at a distance and you don't have to shout come, but do a high hand/arm wave.

He sounds like he is doing great.It would be awesome for him to have a job.

Yes its a lot of work. I have always wondered how they manage to train dogs in two weeks at those camps you send them to.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Great update! It's amazing how he is reading your body. Why not toss in some hand signals now along with the verbal command. It would be great if he is at a distance and you don't have to shout come, but do a high hand/arm wave.
    He knows hand signals to down, sit and stay right now. Tonight on our walk I actually leaned my body back and he stayed in the sit. just goes to show you how dogs read your body language. I think because I tend to keep my body forward he thinks we are going forward. he did amazing on our walk tonight I let him sniff if he pulled I went the other way threw in some heeling, downs, down stays, let him sniff some more, called him to me, more heeling, changed direction, stop and sit ect ect. That was after 45 mins of playing ball.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos