Jack Russel people.

My daughter has a Jack Russel mix, female that is about 9 months old. I have never, in my life, known I dog with so much energy. She makes your blood pressure go up just being in the same room with her. Well, I thought all she needs is more exercise, so I started going over to their house twice a day when the family is at work and school. I bring a ball and play fetch with her for about 20 minutes each time. I know that 20 minutes isn't enough to expend all that energy, but it doesn't even make a dent in it. When it's time to stop playing she becomes even more hyper, jumping at me, trying to grab my coat or hands and being totally annoying. When we get in the house she will go right to her crate and lay down though, waiting for her treat, while I close the door.
    I have tried working with her to teach her all the simple commands, sit, down, leave it, drop it and I've used all the dog training knowledge that I've picked up over the years, to no avail. What am I doing wrong with her? I'd be so happy if I could just get her to sit still for 2 minutes! She's an adorable dog, but my frustration level with her "over the top" energy and lack of any kind of focus is starting to build. So, if anyone can give me any tips on how to work with her and hopefully achieve some small level of success I would be truly grateful.

My sister had one, it slowed down about age 12. Probably not what you wanted to hear but they do go and go and go and jump and jump and jump. They had a lab too basically the lab would lay in the middle of the floor and let the Jack Russel runs circles around her and over her and around her and over her. They did get the Jack Russel to focus and they could do short training session it was very food motivated. Yuo might try a few very small high value treats like cut up chicken hot dogs or something then just don't give in until she sits still. The moment she is still, praise and treat. Repeat and repeat and repeat. However as soon as the training session is over she will be back on like a ball of fire.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Daisy and Miia (03-09-2015)

I have no advice but my understanding is that Jack Russels are extremely high energy. Good luck! Hopefully someone else can be of more help than me.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beth101509 For This Useful Post:

I don't have any tips, but I know a few JRTs and their owners through Barn Hunt. I think that energy is pretty typical. There is one guy in particular, where even my trainer is amazed that he just doesn't seem to have an "off" switch. He can run all day, do different training activities, etc, and he is still literally bouncing off the walls. I've seen the bouncing, that is exactly what he does, lol. His owner will sometimes joke that whoever catches him midair gets to keep him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

I'm doomed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    My sister had one, it slowed down about age 12. Probably not what you wanted to hear but they do go and go and go and jump and jump and jump. They had a lab too basically the lab would lay in the middle of the floor and let the Jack Russel runs circles around her and over her and around her and over her. They did get the Jack Russel to focus and they could do short training session it was very food motivated. Yuo might try a few very small high value treats like cut up chicken hot dogs or something then just don't give in until she sits still. The moment she is still, praise and treat. Repeat and repeat and repeat. However as soon as the training session is over she will be back on like a ball of fire.
    She will focus for a treat or a toy, except that either of those will increase her excitement too.

My brother has a JRT, they need jobs. Mental stimulation is just as important as physical too, they are smart little monsters. My brothers dog is just starting to show signs of slowing down and hes 10. He does agility

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

You have your hands full. My thought was some ball chasing and then a short training session. She seems to know how to settle down and go to crate when it's appropriate so she has learned that. Get your running shoes on!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Senior Dog
    In a word- terrier

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos