Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Velcro dog/ I need some space

Any advice on how to help my new girl, Hope, to stop always following me & being under foot. I have only had her a month.
    I adore her. She is a 6 year old former bird hunting field Lab. She is well behaved & sweet as anything, but sometimes I just need my space. I don't have a crate at the moment. I tried one, but to no avail.

Oliver is 6 months old and we have had him since he was 9 weeks old....I still get no space so good luck with that one. I am pretty sure all labs are unaware of personal space. I could be wrong though.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

When I adopted my dog he did the same thing. I think you need to give her more time to settle in, and feel comfortable with you and your home. She also needs more time to learn what is expected of her in your home. You know that she's in her forever home, but she probably doesn't know that yet.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

sheltieluver (03-09-2015), Sue (03-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue-Ram View Post
    When I adopted my dog he did the same thing. I think you need to give her more time to settle in, and feel comfortable with you and your home. She also needs more time to learn what is expected of her in your home. You know that she's in her forever home, but she probably doesn't know that yet.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^ x1000

Give her time. She's still in her adjustment period.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (03-09-2015)

Benelli was like this when I first brought him home he was a rescue. It took him a good 3 months to start settle. If I was sitting he would lay on the couch as soon as I was up he was up to and he would act anxious passing going from room to room. He finally has started to settle in he knows the rules and wearing him out and doing training sessions has helped. Now that he knows what a down stay is if I'm doing something in the kitchen I'll put him in a down stay in the door way so he can see me but he knows not to enter when I'm done I release him. Like the others said it will just take time.

My four year old dog who I got as a pup was three when he stopped following me everywhere. He still follows me most places or is at least in the vicinity of where I am. My 18 month old is a Velcro dog. He even follows me into the shower sometimes. My house is 750sf and he still must be wherever I am.

Labs are pretty Velcro-y. Doesn't mean she will always be that way, but she might. Or, like other suggested, she'll back off when she settles in.

I've gotten used to it, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    My four year old dog who I got as a pup was three when he stopped following me everywhere. He still follows me most places or is at least in the vicinity of where I am. My 18 month old is a Velcro dog. He even follows me into the shower sometimes. My house is 750sf and he still must be wherever I am.

Labs are pretty Velcro-y. Doesn't mean she will always be that way, but she might. Or, like other suggested, she'll back off when she settles in.

I've gotten used to it, I guess.
    Yep! Velcro-y is a great word for labs. When Crafther and I are home together Mocha has a tough time knowing which one to follow. Once we are settled in he sits by his Momma and watches me.Mocha has gotten better about not having to be touching one of us. Give her time.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

Wanting to be next to their human is a lab trait. Even with her limited mobility, Mardi wants to be in the same room or at least within sight.

Talk about Velcro, Archie, a GSD, is always with me. Teaching him to sit/stay and walk away is almost impossible for him. We're working on that.

Give Hope some time. She will settle in and loosen up but will always want to know where you are.

Luna has to be with one of us. If we're both in bed and one of us gets up to go to the bathroom, Luna has to follow whoever it is to the bathroom, wait until they're done, then she'll come back to bed. If we're on the couch and I get a snack, she has to make sure I don't die on the way.

It's a Lab thing.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I agree give her some time. Your home is a brand new life for her, im sure she feeling insecure and worried. This is an older dog removed from the only life she knew, that has to be tough to adjust too

And velcro is the right word to describe most labs, i have 70 pounds of dog sitting halfway in my lap as im type. Zoey must be with me at all times, rarely does she leave my side. I guess im just used to it so it doesnt bother me at all, its just normal life for me

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos