Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parents and their kids

We just had an excursion to Mocha's favorite place Rural King (pigs ears). There was a bunch of kids around and almost all the kids and parents were good. They came up slowly and let Mocha sniff. Mocha was a good boy. He enjoyed the love and attention.
    Then there was the family from hell. "Oh mommy look at the doggy!" and they came running at Mocha. I stepped in front of him and held out my hand and said in a loud voice STOP. The parents looked shocked and said they just want to pet your dog. I told them that would be ok but one at a time. I had to teach their kids how to approach a dog they don't know. Mocha was a real trooper and was so good. He got a couple of pigs ears for being such a good boy.
    I can't believe how those parents let their kids run at a strange dog.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

I had one of my dogs at a local sportsman's show, representing the local club, and it was like trying to keep kids out of a McDonalds Play Land! Not that Sam didn't love every second of it, bless his big heart, but I was concerned in some cases. One kid tried climbing on him and in one case I was talking to someone and turned around to see another kid touching tongues with him -- they were licking each other's mouths! It was pretty insane...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

sparky (03-10-2015)

It always scares the heck out me when kids go running at the dogs, and the parents do nothing. Mine are very good with kids, and I trust them. I try to use these occurrences as teachable moments. Maybe it will keep one of these kids from getting badly hurt one day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

sparky (03-10-2015)

When I spoke to a nitwit father about the Father telling his excitable and apprehensive son it was ok to pet MY dog without asking permission because "you know dogs don't bite" he rightfully answered, "Dogs who bite shouldn't be out in places like this." We were at an outside car show. He immediately understood when I said, "People shouldn't drive drunk either and I bet you tell your child to look both ways even if there is a stop sign, before crossing the street." With people like him I have found i productive to put my concern for my dog in a way that reflects concern for the child. That kid was wild and hyper, probably didn't get enough exercise.

We have that a lot. Usually what Jake does is have the kids stop and tell him that they have to do certain things, because Bacon is still in training. Bacon is great with kids, but when someone is running at him, he tends to get overly excited and playful.

We also have a group home for teens and adults with disabilities. Bacon is amazing with the residents, and he sure is the highlight of their days However, we had to teach them how to pet and approach Bacon. We want him to be calm and gentle, we have trained him, but we have to train others sometimes too!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (03-10-2015)

I had an adventure with Cassie at a campground last year. We were swimming at a small pond with few people around. Just for safety I had a training lead on her. One of the kids in the water asked me a question and while I was responding to him, another parent with a 9 mos. old baby boy plopped the baby down in front of Cassie. I freaked and pulled Cassie back to me way too hard. The guy says "its ok. He likes dogs." Thank God Cassie just licked the kids face and then was sailing back to me.

I gave the guy a pretty good lecture on approaching a strange dog and that Cassie was still very young and excitable. I told him that although he may have trusted that she was a friendly dog even I wasn't willing to take that chance with an infant, mine or someone else's. It was Cassie's first encounter with a baby. The thoughts of what could have happened had Cassie bit this kid's face haunted me for quite a while. It made me more aware that I need to protect her from getting into a situation she might not handle well. She would have paid the price for this guy's dumb actions.

Happen to have a couple of photos taken just before this happened. The boy in the photo played keep away with Cassie for most of the afternoon until both were exhausted.

Last edited by JackK; 03-10-2015 at 09:20 AM.

When I go on walks or take Oliver out in public and I hear the words "oh! Puppy!" I just walk faster in the opposite direction. I don't even want to mess with that situation.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JackK View Post
    The guy says "its ok. He likes dogs."
    In hindsight, you should have said "Good, Cassie like babies. She thinks they're tasty." Inappropriate but funny

I never understood why parents would let their kids run up to a dog they didn't know. Especially a big dog with big teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by CraftHer View Post
    In hindsight, you should have said "Good, Cassie like babies. She thinks they're tasty." Inappropriate but funny
    On another inappropriate but funny note - the kid was naked! She might have hurt him worse than a bite to the nose!

It's concerning for me too. Archie needed a lot of work to acclimate him to kids and I sure don't want kids running up to him. PetsMart can be bad so I normally go during the week when the kids are in school.

At his recent trip to Bass Pro, there was a little one, maybe 2, who pointed to Archie and wanted to walk up to him. His Mom asked and I let Archie approach. Mom stooped down and covered the little one's stretched out hand. She reached out first and was rewarded with an lick. I actually thanked her for the nice greeting. Archie has made a total 180 with kids, wanting to greet them and I'm the one who has to be careful.

Most of the kids around here are preteen/teen age and when they see Archie give a wide birth. I've had to ask some if they wanted to meet him just to give Archie some experience.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos