Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Which crate is best Platic crate or wire crate? Bringing new puppy home

Hi guys...bringing new puppy home this weekend and new to crate training. Which is best? Wire or plastic. Also, any tips for training the pup to like the crate.

We would use it for nights and when we are not home for about 2 hours a day.

Thanks!

I think a lot of that depends on your pup. We had a hard sided kennel for the car and a wire one for when we weren't home/bedtime.

I would get a wire crate... I would be nervous about plastic and a teething Labrador pup. Luna was really anxious at first in the crate but we covered it with an old sheet and that really helped her out.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

We have a wire one with a divider that the dog grows into.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Emma destroyed a plastic one that I bought only about a year ago or so. She's gonna be 4 years at the end of this month.
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

Wire with divider. Helps with crate training. Just my $.02 but you may want to use the kennel more than you think or want for the first few weeks. If you leave them in there for must of the day except for potty breaks, walks and training sessions the get used to the kennel and enjoy being in there. Helps out loads with potty training. Rio had less than 10 accidents. An hour or two in the kennel, right outside, back in for play and training back into the kennel.

I have both a wire and a plastic crate and for a new puppy, I'd suggest a wire crate. I find it easier to clean a wire crate- there's usually a plastic tray in the bottom that could be pulled out and hosed off and it's easier to lean in through the door of the wire crate if you have to clean it out. The molded plastic crate isn't quite as amenable to cleaning except by leaning in and wiping it out unless you want to take the whole thing outside and hose it out.

The plastic crate I have has 2 raised spots on the bottom, maybe half the thickness of a tuna fish can, that I think would be uncomfortable to lie on. Fortunately my younger dog has never been one to rip up bedding so she can go in there with a dog bed for padding. My older boy was wicked about tearing up bedding and trying to eat it, so he'd have ended up having to lie on those raised areas. Don't count on being able to use bedding or towels or anything like that in the crate for the puppy. Some will rip it up or eat it and that's not desirable.

You can dismantle a plastic crate but they do not fold up flat like a wire crate does in case you want to take it with you to visit family, stay in a hotel, go on vacation. I got the plastic crate to use in my car and now that my pup doesn't use it in the car any more, she sleeps in it in our room at night.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

We have a wire one for at home and a plastic one for hunting/in the car.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

First off, congratulations on bringing your new pup home! Of course you will have to post some pictures

We went with wire crates for both of ours (with the dividers) and they have worked out really well. They both took a liking to them right away. I stuck some teething toys with a couple of other fun ones (that were durable for those shark teeth and when they're teething) that they only got when they were in the crate, so they were more special that way. When they fell asleep outside of the crate, I would pick them up and put them in then they would fall right back to sleep. You can also feed the pup in the crate to make it more enjoyable.

Good luck!

Another vote for wire crate. I also felt like the plastic one wouldn't provide a lot of airflow.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos