Thread: Puzzel toys

Puzzel toys

Do any of you have recomendations on puzzel toys.

Thanks

Simone

Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (03-15-2015)

Last time I was at PetsMart, a week ago, they had a good selection. They are marked as coming from the Toys R Us collection.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (03-15-2015)

Just don't get the plastic ones with the little doors in them. They must be made for dogs who are not very bright because I've never heard of a dog that didn't figure it out in five seconds. I mean, if you find one on sale for like, $2, then it might be worth it, but they are usually $15-ish and such a rip-off.

Real Retriever
    Anything hard plastic that contains 'treats' does not last long here. Sunshine is good at solving them but has discovered the fastest way to the treats is an accidental crack or two in the item. She will nose them around getting one at a time then suddenly I hear a "crack" and she will stop and just look at me. Before I know it there is a hole in just the right spot to let the treats just fall out.

Her favorite puzzles are putting two items together, so she has to get them apart. No treats needed, she just loves the challenge.

Rope is the preferred medium. She has an old, frayed piece of 1/2" plastic rope, a few feet long. I found it at the beach two years ago. I'll take any item and wrap the rope around it. She GRABS it and works to get the rope off it then brings me the item and RUNS back to bring me the rope. Tie several items together and she will work to free each one then bring them all back, so we can play again.

Stuffing things in items! Put a small piece of the rope into a plastic bottle she will work at it until she has a small hole where she can pull the rope out, then both come back to me. Jamming two plastic yogurt containers together with something between them, she has to pull them apart to get the item.

Any kind of screw top bottle is a huge hit. She is a whiz now at getting the top off and has to work to get the item out. A soup can with paper packed into the bottom. She can't get her muzzle in so she has to use her foot to work at it to where she can grab pieces to get at the hidden item.

I think I have as much fun trying to come up with puzzles as she does solving them.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodrow_Woodchuck For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (03-15-2015), sarah (03-16-2015)

The wobbler. Macy killed her first one but the second one is hanging in there. I also say no to the plastic puzzles. They are not made for a lab, IMO. I bought a star shaped hard plastic puzzle that was "indestructible" but it went in the trash after one day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Macy For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (03-15-2015)

Zoey and Daisee are enjoying the new toys r us ones from Petsmart right now. They figured out 2 different ones out quickly just any other puzzle toy, but its fun. I havent had any issues with plastic puzzle toys, im always in the same room to supervise, i dont allow them to destroy those types of toys.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos