Tips to help Archie relax?

So it's day 4 with baby Quinn in the house and Archie has only calmed down slightly. Anytime she's moving, he wants to be right with her. Any toy she wants, he wants too. He ignores us. As soon as Quinn falls asleep he passes out, clearly exhausted - this is a dog that before Quinn came home was pretty lazy around the house, sleeping his days away, so I know he must be tired from all this activity.

We know it will take time to adjust and we're working with Archie and Quinn separately, crating as necessary, and reinforcing Archie's commands. Regardless, I kind of feel like a full-time referee when I'm home with the 2 of them.

Any tips to help Archie relax around the puppy and just let her have her own time?

Also, any reassurance that he will settle eventually would be great. Thanks all!
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

This kinda happened when Ruger got home. Although I am no expert on this by any means, we actually put up the room divider gates to keep the older dog off the pup. You will have to climb over the gates to move throughout the house but it was a fast way to separate them when the older dog wouldn't leave the younger one to some time and space. Over time they settled in, but to this day they zoom around the house with each other after the morning poops. Almost like they are happy to have lightened the load!

So Archie is an older dog and Quinn is a puppy?

1. Quinn should be on a lead/line attached to you or to something stationary. (It makes potty training sooo much easier. You will know when she's getting the I'm-about-to-pee-fidgets.) And, if Quinn is contained, Archie has the option of walking away and finding his own space.

(I apologize. If Quinn is a human baby, ignore item 1.)

2. Archie needs to know "place" or some similar command. It can be a rug or mat or even a crate with an open door. Someplace he can be instructed to go to and stay (which helps you) but, at the same time, someplace that is safe for him, where he won't be punished, won't be molested. A dog who's quietly in his "place" is always a good dog.

Zoey was like that when i got my corgi. She settled down after a few weeks. At first it was crazy but once we got into a new routine with a new dog in the house she relaxed

Yes, Quinn is a puppy, 10 wks, and Archie is almost 2.

I've actually been keeping Archie on a leash sometimes and that helps. If gives quinn some time to herself and Archie a chance to relax.

He also has a mat and knows his mat stay very well, so we've been using that for short stints as well.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, I can see him getting a bit better each day. Quinn is his dream come true! lol.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

It took my other dog almost 1 month to warm up to Molly when I brought her home. Now they are great buddies.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos