Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

No crate training

Would like to hear from owners that don't or did not crate train. How successful was it? Thank You.

Puppy
    We rescued our puppy and he was so scared my son tried the crate but ending up just letting him sleep outside of it in his room. Honestly it would have been better to crate train him just for potty reasons. Although he is getting better, it was difficult to do. However, it seems he might be liking the crate now.

Senior Dog
    Believe in crate training. Think its the best tool I have to help get my pups understanding a structure. Wish I could give you some insight raising a pup without a crate.

KAZ

there are many benefits to crate training even if you don't intend to leave a puppy int ehre for long periods. I know in the past dogs were nto crated, and in some countries they don't crate train. But at least getting a dog used to being crated can help i they ever have a health issues that requires crating, helps if you travel with your dog (safer to crate them in a hotel, or sometimes family that are nto fans of dogs are happier to oblige if you can crate the pup). And if you ever "need" to crate for whatever reason (training, recovering from health issues, requiring total and complete rest) at least you have a dog that won't freak out in a crate.

It also depends on the dog. some dogs are not prone to chewing things so owners successfuly got thru life without crating. Other dogs - are just chewers. so not crate leads to potentisl risk to the dog eating something they should not or injuring themselves. At least if you introduced a crate you earlier on you have that in your back pocket should it be needed.

Basically - it's a useful training/behaviour that is good for a dog to have even if you don't NEED to crate them and don't crate them at first or for long days.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

bett (06-09-2014)

35 years ago my mom had a pomaranian and I had a rottweiler(I was 6 so wasnt really mine). we lived in the country and the dogs played outside while we were in work/school and when we came home, they came inside. boy times have changed. I dont remember any issues not having a crate, but my memory isnt what it used to be. I used to ride the rottie like a horse.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

When we got our dog 8 years ago we attempted to crate train him. Didn't work, probably due to some mistakes. It took a VERY long time to potty train him. We had a hard time with structure and getting him to understand that he couldn't just go on the floor. It was rough going, but it can be done with a lot of patience and diligence.

Another benefit of crate training I hadn't even thought about - I can leave Archie in the car while I run into a store and he just sits there. You'd be amazed at all the times you need to confine a dog, and a crate trained dog handles it like a champ.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

If you mean for potty training, no, we didn't. Had a crate though. Open door crate in a pen or our gated kitchen. Since both were done the same way I guess I can't speak to the potty but puppies can't control themselves completely till about 6 months old. Ours had very few accidents in the house in the daytime because we paid attention to them. The first was clean overnight from the beginning and the second by 4.5 months old. When they were confined to the pen or kitchen sometimes they'd lie in the crate, sometimes they wouldn't.

The reason I am asking is because my husband and I work days so she is alone 9 hours until I get home and all the material I have been reading says no more than 4 hours at a time in a crate. There is no one else we can get to come in and let her out. So we have been gating her in the kitchen. Its a good size kitchen. She is only 8 weeks old and she is having accidents while we are gone which is to be expected since she is alone 9 hours. At night she sleeps by our bed. I just cant see leaving her in a crate for 9 hours. Has anyone left their puppy that long in a crate?

Quote Originally Posted by janika28 View Post
    The reason I am asking is because my husband and I work days so she is alone 9 hours until I get home and all the material I have been reading says no more than 4 hours at a time in a crate. There is no one else we can get to come in and let her out. So we have been gating her in the kitchen. Its a good size kitchen. She is only 8 weeks old and she is having accidents while we are gone which is to be expected since she is alone 9 hours. At night she sleeps by our bed. I just cant see leaving her in a crate for 9 hours. Has anyone left their puppy that long in a crate?
    An adult dog can handle 9 hours, a puppy cant. I went home at lunch for the first year with Zoey

Best thing to do would be crating her and having someone come let her out mid-day. Or you can continue leaving her in the kitchen but be prepared for destruction. Lab puppies are known for there destruction when they are left alone that long. You are also putting her at risk for injury by leaving her out. Labs are known to eat walls, baseboards, cabinets.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos