Benellis training ?

Benelli is doing very well with his training. He will do down stays, sit stays, from a distance and weve been adding time he can do a 3 min down stay, sit stay. I haven't worked with him on me leaving the room yet.

My trainer taught us not to ask twice if you give a command and they don't do it the first time make them do it. I'll say for instant sit most of the time he I'll do it right away sometimes he looks at me like I spoke another language I give him a few seconds BC I know he knows what I want him to do basically I make him think and he will sit if he doesn't I will make him sit. I never say sit, sit, I said sit that drives me so crazy when I hear people repeating themselves and their dog clearly doesn't know what's being asked or they aremt paying attention.

So my question is last night I was in the kitchen cleaning up. I don't allow the dogs in the kitchen BC they try to lick the dishes in the dishwasher and get under foot. Gauge knows his commands I tell him out , down, stay and he will stay in the door. Benelli will but after a little bit he will get up, not to me a down stay is you don't get up unless I release you which my word is ok free. I'll keep stopping put him back in a down stay and keep repeating as necessary. When he is in his down stay I will then return and release him. Is this the right thing to do? If you know different way of teaching I'm all ears. I do mostly positive training but I have no problem with using corrections. Such as a quick collar pop.

Sounds good to me. You are the one to tell Benelli when to get up and he is testing you. Keep up the training. He'll learn that trying will get him nowhere.

[QUOTE=sheltieluver;68439]. When he is in his down stay I will then return and release him. Is this the right thing to do? If you know different way of teaching I'm all ears. QUOTE]

You are doing well, but might change one piece of the routine...
    Not sure if you return to him and release him directly from the Down/stay position. If so, you might try going from Down/Stay to "heel" and walk him from the spot you had him staying, then release him from there. This will teach him that he is not going to be released from the position you had him until there is another action, then the release will come.
    Point is, you don't want to release the dog directly from Sit/Stay as they learn that they will be allowed to move from this position to "released". Small detail, but it may make a difference. Once he has learned this, you can later directly release him from Stay position at times, but try to use "heel" off of stay when possible.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Michael M.Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Because benelli knows the down/stay, if he is getting up without your release, I would give a correction, re command the down and emphasis on the stay.

Is he rushing the release? Like do you walk towards him and then release him? Or is there some signal you give (maybe without you knowing) that you do prior to giving his release command? Or is he just getting up whenever without a release?

I still give a correction on the collar for this. Just a pop and emphasis on the stay is usually all I would do.

Did you gradually increase duration and slowly introduce distractions? We did the down stay trick with pieces of kibble on the floor six feet in front of dog. Stay for seconds to minutes to three minutes, release give kibble but I prefer to also give a much better treat than the one on the floor. Have foot ready to step on kibble so dog can't get them. Shorten to three feet and shorten the time, work back up in time. Shorten to between paws etc. I really, really like to give a reward that is better than what is on the floor in order to emphasize the benefits of waiting.

For action distractions we threw ball and ran other dogs around. First in front and far away. Then closer and behind. Helper to throw the ball at first is necessary but we did move on to throwing the balls ourselves.

But I have to say, for the exact situation you describe with the dishwasher I found a loud, stern LEAVE IT worked just fine. But I was not asking for a down stay too.

For the sit, do you think there could be some pain going on? There's a two year old Shelti (well-bred) in class that was not performing on her sits/stays and turns out she has hip dysplasia. I guess what I'm saying is that if he knows sit but is choosing not to, look into other things -- pain, your method, your signals, etc. -- before assuming he's just being obtuse. It could also be stress. I generally ask, and if it is not performed within seconds, I have a do-over. Perhaps you need to work on speed of the sit? If that is the case, make a game of it? I have found this to be the best method for us with the auto sit, finishes, and figure 8s.

For the down-stay in the kitchen, you said he has a three-minute down-stay. How long are you asking for a down-stay when you are working in the kitchen? If that is the case, your dog is trained to a three-minute down-stay. So, you can't expect much more. If you really want him out but he's not trained to that point, crate him or use a baby gate. Or teach him "out" versus the down-stay. Also, if you are training for a show-quality down-stay, you probably aren't able to watch him while you are working in the kitchen, so you may be training bad habits into him. If you truly want the dog to lay down and stay while cleaning up the kitchen, make sure you are rewarding him during the down-stay by walking up to him, treating him, saying "good dog" and "stay".

In class we are working on sit/down stays and adding distractions. Maybe I rushed it thinking that he would stay down for the entire time. I've been putting him in the down stay out of the kitchen in sight of me I give it a few walking back to him, treating, if he breaks the stay I correct and put him back in it. He will now do an auto matic sit when heeling. hes doing very well in class. Ill see if I can post a video of his sit/stay from class.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=874050869303419&set=vb.183821861659660&type=1"> class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=874050869303419&set=vb.183821861659660&type=1"> href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=874050869303419&set=vb.183821861659660&type=1">Here is a great video of stay! Great job!!!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos