What do you Love More? Me or the Food?

Oliver is one of those eaters where you set the bowl down, release him to go eat, and 5 seconds later, he is licking his chomps and wiggling his butt in front of you because he's all done!

Well, I figured out how to slow the eating process down....I either get my walking shoes on or leave the room. Now that it is just me feeding Oliver both meals because the husband is on 2nd shift. When I get off work, I come home, feed Oliver, and go change so we can go for a walk. So I set the food down and head towards the bedroom. Two seconds later, here comes Oliver, wiggling all over like, "are you going somewhere? I have food to eat. What do I do???" So I tell him to go eat his food, he will run out, grab a mouthful and come running back to make sure I am still where he left me. This process repeats until he can gulp down all his food or I go back into the living room where I apparently belong while he eats.

This morning, I put his food down and went to the front door (which in eye view of his food dish) and he looks up to see where I am, notices I am putting on my walking shoes (I have a specific pair I wear when we go for walks) and he comes running over and puts his nose towards his harness. I tell him to go finish eating, he runs over to his dish, grabs a mouthful of food and looks up at me "are you leaving me??!".

What a weirdo. At least he's eating a little slower...
    Last edited by beth101509; 03-19-2015 at 11:17 AM.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Awww Oliver, you're so cute.

I don't like to feed too soon ( a couple of hours) just before or just after a walk (just being cautious about bloat) but I think I'll try that. See if a walk trumps food.

We were pleased and surprised when the rescue, who had been starved before we got her, left her food dish to come find us once. Thought the food was the most important thing to her. Turned out we were.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (03-19-2015)

Ram faces this dilemma when we go to his favorite pet store. One of the employees really loves him and she will give him (too many) treats so he will sit at the counter and not want to leave. I drop his leash and head for the door and he will sit there and look at me then look at the employee, me, employee, me.. Then I always give him the line from the movie speed "Pop quiz, hotshot..." He does leave with me, but it's a pretty slim margin.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (03-19-2015)

Senior Dog
    Aw, he just wants some company while he eats, Mom!

The only thing that will distract Kimber from her meal is her frisbee. She always gets a few frisbee throws after meals, but I can't touch the frisbee until she's done eating or she won't eat. I don't know how long she'd hold out for- probably not very long!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (03-19-2015)

Nothing comes between Zoey and her food, not even me. I was running late one night and my husband was home before me so he fed the dogs, i walked in in the middle of her eating and she did not acknowledge me until she was done. This is a dog who practically mauls me when i come home, her food is more important. My husband sometimes comes home late and ill be eating dinner and she wont even go greet him just in case she will be getting some of my dinner which she always does. Zoey is all about food

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (03-19-2015)

Linus requires me to "hold his paw" while eating. Or peeing. Or pooping. If I am there, he cannot be alone. Mammas boys!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (03-19-2015)

Agree, I would put off the feeding until after the walk. Gives the innards time to digest a little.

Nothing comes between Mardi and her meals, other than her sit/stay waiting for me to put the bowl down. Archie is completely different, more like your pup.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (03-19-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos