Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eating things from the ground

When we are on walks, Latte is constantly searching the ground to find something to eat and she does! AND it is mostly poop! It doesn't have to be eatable. She puts whatever she finds into her mouth. This annoys me so bad. How can I prevent this? I just pull her off. This is what I can do for now because she hasn't learned the ''Leave It'' yet. Even so, do I have to say ''Leave it, Leave it, Leave it...'' on the walks all the time? How can I stop it?

Edit:
    I guess eating poop is my problem. I can't keep her away from poop on the ground most of the time. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by sipsi; 03-19-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Something I wanted to add.

Keep your eyes peeled for those items that she will be likely to go for and give her a "leave it" while you are pulling her off it. If she does get something in her mouth, can you get her to drop it or trade it for a treat? Theo would pick up everything on walks. He didn't discriminate. He would grab rocks, leaves, sticks, and any random trash that he came across. For a few weeks, I carried training treats in my pocket and traded him a treat for a dropped item. Now, all it takes is a "drop that" if he does happen to pick something up. I can usually fend off a grab with a "leave it" now. How often he picks something up has GREATLY decreased also. We've gone from picking up maybe 30 items on a walk after trash day in the city, to maybe only even looking at 2 or 3 items while on a walk now.
    Hidden Content Theo 8/14/14

''Drop it'' works sometimes. But when it is something gluey like poop, there's nothing to drop. I take a handkerchief, open her mouth and clean it off. I guess eating poop is my main issue here. Thank you Laura. Your experience gives me hope. I'll work on those commands.

Leave it and drop it are 2 very important things to teach your dog. Just as important as stay, wait, come and sit

It takes time and practice, this wont happen overnight and you are going to have keep your eyes open at all times outside. Zoey took months before she perfected those commands. She was a mouthy puppy, most are, they explore the world with there mouths.

I always tried to catch her before she got something in her mouth and firmly would tell her leave it and redirect her away. If she managed to pick something up, i used drop it. if she didnt drop it, i would stick my hands in her mouth and go get it. I was kinda lucky, she never swallowed anything except for foreign animal poop which she still does at age 6. I will never understand why dogs like poop, so gross

LOL...just poop is your problem. Sorry but that is funny. Luckily Oliver doesn't do this often. On one rare occasion he did get a pacifier in his mouth. Like a baby's pacifier...it was on the ground so I guess some poor kid is without it. He picked it up so quickly, I didn't even know he had it until he spit it back out. I guess he didn't like it either. It was so funny that I didn't react. It was step, in his mouth, another step, spit out of his mouth. Sometimes, you just have to laugh at a dog that quick and sneaky.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
    He picked it up so quickly, I didn't even know he had it until he spit it back out.
    Yes. I can't catch her in the act. Especially at nights. I have a bad sight and wear glasses to see poop before Latte does. LOL.

I've joked that we should have named Tucker Dyson or Hoover, for all that he sucks up while we're on walks. Thankfully, he isn't interested in poop. But EVERYTHING else is fair game - sticks, dirt, rocks, trash. You name it, he'll pick it up. And frequently swallow it. I do try to locate things that he might find interesting and give him the "leave it" in advance. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Like you, I feel like I have "leave it!" on a taped loop.

Part of my problem is that when I walk him (I'm talking exercise-type, 4mph walks, not the lets-go-out-for-a-pee walk) I don't wear my glasses, so I can't really see what's there too well. But by now I'm fairly good at identifying what he'll find tasty.

He's slowly learning "drop it," is pretty good with "leave it," but I still have to reach in there a few times each walk to pull something out. Lovely...

OK I'm clear. I need to work on ''Drop It'' and ''Leave It''. And maybe I should have named Latte Siphon.

Leave it and drop it are so important. Was walking Bandit once and he found a chicken bone someone must have tossed out of a car because it was cooked. Bad news if consumed. It got it in his mouth before I could pull him away but a sharp drop it command and out it came. I know it is hard when they are young and learning but keep up the training.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

sipsi (03-20-2015)

Thanks POPTOP. Yes it is really hard and my effort doesn't seem to work. She is curious about every taste and smell. I am trying to be patient and consistent.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos