Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Got me thinking...

The post about the owner not wanting her dog being touched by other people. In reading all the posts it seems a good majority of you don't like your dogs being approached by other dogs so it got me thinking I'm not nuts about an incident that happened this past Saturday I want to share with you all. I live in a residential community with one way in and one way out and I walk my dogs twice a day. We have two houses that are outside of our community that allow thier dogs to run loose. One is a boxer who is pretty well mannered so he isn't an issue but the other one is a pit and he has no manners and no training so therefore no recall whatsoever. I found all this out on Saturday when I went to walk my two in the afternoon. Both dogs were out playing, owners were with them and both dogs took off for the back of their house so I continued walking mine out of the community. Before I can get out I hear the screaming of a dogs name. It's the pit and he's coming right at us. I have an 11 year old female and a 2 year old male. I sling the older one behind me to protect her while I gather the 2 year old to get ready. I'm too small of a person to hide two labs behind me. He approaches with speed and no reservation. His owner is screaming his name while running across her neighbors yard into our community as I battle this pit to get away from my 11 year old. He was going after her legs and we just kept spinnin, and spinning while I kicked that dog in the face until his owner got there and SHE didn't even want to stick her hands in there and just get him. I was furious and doubled over in the street exhausted after it was all said and done and she says to me "he's usually nice" "makes you want to cry doesn't it?" I'm thinking 'WHAT?" I wait a couple of days and decide to pay her a visit for reassurance that won't happen again. Same lady, different personality this time. She defends her dog by saying my dog was at fault for running behind me cause he just wanted to sniff her. OMG...did you really just say that lady? So it ended in a pretty heated conversation. Me I'll do what I have to do if I feel threatened. Her, don't you shoot my dog. Never crossed her mind to keep her dog on her property. She thinks it's nice so there shouldn't be a problem. I thought I was going to burst a blood vessel in my head.

I'd call animal control the next time I saw them running loose. Not sure how quickly they would get there, but ideally they would get there to see the dogs running amuck, and assuming you have a leash law, either pick them up or go have a talk with the owner. And hope that has an impact on her. If not, I'd keep calling them and hopefully she would get fined or something. I'd be surprised if there haven't been other more serious issues than what you encountered, which is stressful enough. In the meantime you do need to keep your dogs safe. It sounds like there is not another way to walk without avoiding her house? Carry mace or a police baton as protection, but then you have to be prepared for her to retaliate if you do need to use them....but on the same hand you can't have you or your dogs getting hurt. It is a tough situation. People like that really piss me off, I've encountered them before.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

HaleyJo03 (03-20-2015)

Puppy
    It is tough. I'm so stressed walking them now I could vomit. I have to pass her house, no way around it. I carry a .38 and mace and never felt like I had to pull either one. Looks like it might become a reality and yes I would expect her to retaliate. Animal control is on notice but they are way under staffed. You pretty much have to catch the dog and hold him until they can get there whenever they can get there. The poor kids in our neighborhood are terrifed of both of them cause they run amuck in our community unsupervised. Such a shame people can be so inconsiderate. If I owned a dog that scared anyone I would apologize and reassure them it won't happen again. Not everyone was raised the same I guess.

I don't know where you live, but you might want to check your city/county ordinances about dischage of a weapon in a congested area. Mace is not a bad idea. You need to worry about wind direction when you use mace as it could blow into your eyes or your dogs'. There is also anti-bear spray you can find in sporting goods outlets. You might want to look into that.

But here is something I would absolutely use. Get a cattle prod. It's about 3 feet long and delivers a jolt that a 2000 pound steer respects. No need to put your hand down near the attacking dog's face. No chance you might miss and injure your own dog. Completely legal. It's better than a baseball bat because you don't have to be coordinated or particularly strong to make a major impact on the dog.

It has another advantage... if the owner of the offending dog sees you walking with it, she knows exactly what it's for. A gun you must conceal (unless you live in an open-carry state.) Failure to conceal the weapon is called brandishing and in most places is illegal. The can of mace is just small. The crazy woman won't see it from a distance.

Also, if the dogs are running lose and NOT an immediate threat to your dog... whip out your cell phone and film them. Who knows... you could email the video to Animal Control and the County Commission and City Council members who represent you. Is there a school anywhere near you? I'd send the video to the School Board.

Is your home part of an HOA? Do they know these dogs are a threat to property owners? Is there any burden on them to keep these dogs out? Could they bring an action against the pet owner? Could you align yourself with other dog owners in your community and have an attorney write a letter to the dog owner explaining her exposure to law suits?

So go to the mat for your dogs and pull out all the stops. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!

PS: Take a picture of the cattle prod and mail it to the crazy woman. No explanation needed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

HaleyJo03 (03-21-2015), ronmcq (03-21-2015)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

HaleyJo03 (03-21-2015)

Puppy
    First thank you. It offered some sound advice. The mace I carry is Grizzly mace and its a large can and projects 20 feet of spray. Your right about firing a gun in a contested area. I do have a concealed weapons permit but firing it off in a residential area is careless and traumatic. I'll look into the cattle prod, I don't know if that is legal in our area or not. Animal Control has been contacted but not the police. As for the HOA we live next to the president and he's looking into options as this dog has caused problems for other people walking their dogs so this isn't an isolated incident. I've talked to these people and they are afraid too. Most of these dogs are small and can be picked up but the owners head is still on a swivel.

Puppy
    It might come to calling the police. I didn't want to escalate the problem any worse than it already is but I might have to. My concern is she will retaliate by turning her dog loose on purpose. You just never know what people will do. It's so senseless but I have nightmares about that day and about that dog.

So sorry for what happened to you and your pets. Some good advice has been offered and I hope you do what it takes to protect what is yours. I can't believe the stupidity of some people!
    Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ronmcq For This Useful Post:

HaleyJo03 (03-21-2015)

Senior Dog
    Shoot it! I'm so sick of people saying their dog is nice and it's ur fault that my dog came at u. If that dog is close enough that it's biting at ur dog, trigger control, point and shoot. No worry about being congested.

My neighbors dog jumped their fence twice, attacked Dallas in my front yard twice and I made damn sure it didn't happen a third time. So they get another one, it comes after us while were walking in the street, had the firearm out and was gunna plug that one too. Good thing they were about 5 seconds behind it.

If they wanted to escalate it, bring it on! People just piss me off!

Senior Dog
    Document times, days, what was said, what was done. I guarantee when you shoot it, everyone will finally show up and show interest. Pull your documentation out and let them know had they done something prior, this would have never happen.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos