janedoe, do you have chicken tunnels?

I think I remember you talking about moveable frames? Anyway, this photo made me think of your chickens and other non-dogs that I don't think we've heard about for a while (unless I'm not keeping up)!

https://www.facebook.com/FreshEggsDa...163135/?type=1
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

janedoe (03-22-2015)

Senior Dog
    Oh, how cool....and, no, we haven't really heard about janedoe's other critters in a while. (oops...sorry for intruding....)

I don't have them now but I see the rationale. They do protect from hawks but I think they're mostly to keep them out of the garden while still providing fertilizer. There's a reason that garden is so lush. It's a great idea for daytime activities. We have so many predators now. I think that housing construction is driving wildlife into our area. We have such a variety now. The tunnels would be a good way for the chickens to get from one portable coop to another and still be relatively protected. I could put the garden in the middle.

The animals are great! We lost some birds to a bobcat and coyotes but everyone else is good. The goats are as hilarious as always and really healthy. I may get some midget white turkeys this year since the tick situation has pretty much been addressed. I'll post if I do. I love, love turkey eggs and the breed lasts longer than some of the birds we've had in the past. It's definitely a learning experience but I think we have it figured out for our area.

Needless to say, we can't wait for spring . . .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

smartrock (03-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Oh, how cool....and, no, we haven't really heard about janedoe's other critters in a while. (oops...sorry for intruding....)
    Don't be silly. They're great just nothing to really to say. The goats are really healthy and very bouncy. I'm glad we decided not to raise anything this winter even though we tend to every two years or so. Now that we're taking a break from construction and the ticks have pretty been eradicated, I'm planning to redo everything out back. The tunnels are a really good idea.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

SunDance (03-23-2015)

The tunnels look like a great idea. We lost a lot of bantam hens to owls and hawks.

Glad to hear are the critters are doing well.

Funny story about the goats. I took them in for their annual checkup and rabies shots. This procedure is conducted on the tailgate of my pickup so the top of the goats are at head height while the vet pokes and prods. Then the tech comes over to help hold them while the vet gives them their shots. She leans over, sniffs and says, "Oh!" Sniffs again. Looks at me, surprised, and says, "Your goats smell really good!"

That's because they're all girls . . .

I can't wait to move in a few years my husband and I would like to sell this house and get something with a few acres. I want chickens, goats, ducks, and pigs. I grew up on a farm and I miss having the animals.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos