Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yard Work

Yard Work

Rocky decided to help me dig today, every time the shovel went in, his front feet did also, digging as fast as he could, making it next to impossible to remove the shovel. after helping for what seemed like forever he took off around the house at top speed, made a quick trip thru the edge of the pond and came back to help more. it's all of 35 degrees, he's wet and muddy now and thinks it's funny.
    So if you get tired of playing fetch or having them laying on the couch, there's always yard work to try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -3-22-15-jpg  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jertom For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (03-23-2015), Jollymolly (03-25-2015), POPTOP (03-24-2015), ronmcq (03-25-2015), Starla (03-23-2015)

My girl always helps my fiancé pick up the sticks.... He's cleaning out the brush, making his pile of sticks, she is taking the sticks from his pile back out into the brush lol while I sit on the porch watching the show lol I love it!
    Hidden Content

My furbabies Starla and Copper
    💗love my rescues💗

Smart boy, he'll be a real helper in no time.

I made a mistake when Jet was a wee puppy. I decided to not have a garden that summer, not at all. But my Mum gave me some special Kelsae onions so I had to plant them. Dig, dig, dig, plant, smooth soil over top. Dig, dig, dig, plant, smooth soil over top. Yep, I think Jet might never have learned to dig at all if I hadn't shown her how. She dug them all up and played with them. Not a single one matured into an onion.

This worries me. We plan on planting our new flower beds this spring. Mocha has not seen us digging & planting yet. This should be fun. We'll keep a camera close
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    This worries me. We plan on planting our new flower beds this spring. Mocha has not seen us digging & planting yet. This should be fun. We'll keep a camera close
    At 5+ months there is many things Rocky hasn't seen yet, and I'm willing to understand, but I have a veg. garden every year and some flowers, so he better shape up.
    I'll keep you posted.

After the first summer of fenced vegetable garden we found we could dispense with it when we had the first two girlie pups. It was only a one foot high fence, I could easily step over it to get in. The dogs did not step over but, man, could they lean. I learned to plant peas back three feet away from the edge. Even with the fence gone they did not step in but would still lean. With Oban the fence has remained up every year. And it's over two feet high, I have to clamber in and out but that's easier than the amount of training it would take to keep him out, even when I'm not there. None of them went/go in the flowers much, no food there.

Years ago, our Dalmatian pup, Patch, loved to help me dig in the garden. By the time she was finished, all her spots seem to have blended all together.

Even with her problems, Mardi has been a stinker digging this spring. I know she can't get over a short fence so bought sections of the cheap metal decorative fence. Of course, she then found a tiny little garden beside the garden shed to help herself to. UGH

I have all my impotrant plants in protective custody. Molly likes to dig in my pots. The poop in the hole trick worked with her digging to china in the garden Still Ill put some kind of protection around my Vggies

Senior Dog
    Kimber was about 9 months old her first spring with us. I was pulling out all of the dead stuff from a bed with Kimber watching. She tilted her head, then jumped into the bed with me and began pulling out all the plants with her mouth! It was very funny but I had to put her on a tie-out while I continued my clean up. Luckily, she forgot all about it by the next year.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Senior Dog
    Yard work with dogs has always been an adventure for us.

Our Akitas taught us to not use organic fertilizer in our potted plants. Or on landscape plants. We also learned to not attempt to have fruit trees...the first fruit they yielded was quickly consumed by two dogs standing on their hind legs, and the trunks themselves were snapped in half by two dogs who obviously appreciated vertical fetch sticks.

We've also had Labs who liked to prune the shrubs, dig, dig up grass in order to eat the roots...and, yes, roll in organic fertilizer.

Mercifully, most of these traits were outgrown (not sure about the fruit tree thing...we never replaced those trees). We don't use organic fertilizer, though...Sunnie and Danny enjoy a good roll to this day.

If you're lucky, Rocky will prove to just be going through a digging phase.

Handsome boy!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos