Puppy

Stealing from Counters & Tables

I have a rescue black lab puppy, about 8 months old. I've only had her for a few days and have been working on her training and am almost there with the basic commands and have done some clicker work. One problem that has started is stealing things from the kitchen counter and tables. It started with her discovering that treats were just a little too close to the edge and once I moved anything edible from the counter she then went on to try to take anything that she could reach (which pretty much means the entire counter). She's gotten pretty good at it, and almost never does it when I'm watching her. This is my fourth lab but have never run into this particular problem. Any creative ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

I have a 8-1/2 old month black lab also. He has recently discovered he has the ability to counter surf. I've done a pretty good job training Chopper with "Leave it" and "Down". Therefore, he gets a stern correction every time I have witnessed this happening. He is testing his boundaries. This age for puppies is their time to rebel against previous training. You have to remain diligent with training. Make sure your pup knows this type of behavior is not acceptable. Reinforcement will be required. Keep all treats and food off the counter if you are not cooking or eating. If there is nothing on the countertop for him to steal, then he will lose interest. Puppy proof the place.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppersDad View Post
    I have a 8-1/2 old month black lab also. He has recently discovered he has the ability to counter surf. I've done a pretty good job training Chopper with "Leave it" and "Down". Therefore, he gets a stern correction every time I have witnessed this happening. He is testing his boundaries. This age for puppies is their time to rebel against previous training. You have to remain diligent with training. Make sure your pup knows this type of behavior is not acceptable. Reinforcement will be required. Keep all treats and food off the counter if you are not cooking or eating. If there is nothing on the countertop for him to steal, then he will lose interest. Puppy proof the place.
    If you tell him down, instead of off, what do you use for lay down?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Tanya (03-24-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    I have a rescue black lab puppy, about 8 months old. I've only had her for a few days and have been working on her training and am almost there with the basic commands and have done some clicker work. One problem that has started is stealing things from the kitchen counter and tables. It started with her discovering that treats were just a little too close to the edge and once I moved anything edible from the counter she then went on to try to take anything that she could reach (which pretty much means the entire counter). She's gotten pretty good at it, and almost never does it when I'm watching her. This is my fourth lab but have never run into this particular problem. Any creative ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
    Since you've only had her a few days, I'd treat her like a brand new pup and start from the beginning with training.

Get everyone off the counter. Watch her always. If you can't watch her, tether her to you or crate her. Lots of exercise. Frequent, short training sessions throughout the day. Teach her off and leave it, make it fun (use treats).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Tanya (03-24-2015), ZoeysMommy (03-24-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    If you tell him down, instead of off, what do you use for lay down?
    Good point Labradorks. I use Down for lay down. I must be confusing my pup. I will start using Off.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppersDad View Post
    Good point Labradorks. I use Down for lay down. I must be confusing my pup. I will start using Off.
    its never confused Zoey, she knows get down and lay down are 2 different things. Ive never used off

The theory is Simple keep the tables & counters clear. The reality in our house was the rest of the family did not remember to put stuff away.

When we put the hidden fence aka Invisible Fence in we alos added a wire under the counter to establish a boundary. Works perfectly.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

So... At dinner time each night, I lay out my pills. One little pile for bedtime, and one little pile for in the morning. The other night I did the same as always, then I went to bathe. Watched a little TV. Maybe had a glass of wine...

Went to take my pills... they were not there. Only the morning pills were. Hmmmm... did I take them? Or did I forget to put them out? I didn't feel sleepy, so... I hadn't taken my ambien. Humph. The dogs looked fine. Guess I didn't get them out. I'm such a twit. So I got out new pills, took them and went to bed.

I had to pee at about 2AM. Got up, and the black Far-Ball (Tennessee speak for Fire Ball) was completely inert. I nudged her. Nothing. I picked her jaw off the carpet, let go and it crashed to the floor.

Now, I'm a nurse and have had over medicated patients before so I used my keen clinical skills... I grabbed her by the shoulders and jerked her back and forth and back and forth with all my strength yelling WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP! at the top of my lungs right next to her ear. (It worked really well on hubby.) After doing this over and over, you could tell she was trying to open her eyes, and focus on me, and she made a herculean effort to hold her head up. So, I went back to bed fairly sure she'd be with us in the morning.

The lesson, boys and girls is... you can always trust your dog to be a dog. Keep stuff off the counters.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

happy_blackbird (03-26-2015), Meeps83 (03-24-2015), ZoeysMommy (03-24-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos