Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gardening/Gardeners

So I am wondering, if I dig up a plant and replant it, would it thrive at this time in the year? We have inherited some plants that are looking a bit sad and I wonder if it has a bulb and I dig it up and replant it, maybe with some plant food, new soil, and mulch it might have a fighting chance? I have no idea what they are, no blooms or anything yet just leaves that are falling over. In fact several of the plants aren't even in the ground really, looks like maybe they were just shoved in to sell the house. I would like to replant them deeper into the soil and hope that they won't be so...brown....

Anyway, I know climate/region/soil specifics matter but what's your experience with moving/replanting something?

There are a couple of shrubs I would like to replant as well.

Thoughts? Ideas? Tips?

Thanks!
    Charlie and Burton

Senior Dog
    Can you shoot me some pictures? Some plants actually start to look wifty this time of year and they're perfectly fine....done doing what they intend to do for now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (05-29-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Can you shoot me some pictures? Some plants actually start to look wifty this time of year and they're perfectly fine....done doing what they intend to do for now.
    And I don't know where in the States you are...that might help. You can PM me if you don't want to say here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Yes! It's a bit rainy at the moment but I will post pictures here as soon as I take them. I would love to have some help identifying these!

I will send you a PM!
    Charlie and Burton

7. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

SunDance (05-29-2014)

I'd like to see the pics also. Since you are in a warmer area of the country, (as am I), I generally don't transplant larger things like bushes/shrubs until the late fall / early winter when they go dormant. If the shrub is putting energy into leaf or flower production right now, digging it up and transplanting will divert the energy back into its root system as it adapts to its new area. I have transplanted smaller plants (like strawberries, flowers), into new areas w/o problems, but I just make sure and dig it out far enough under it's existing roots so as not to disturb them much. Then when I put them in their new place, I make sure and amend the soil in the hole I'm putting them in with some fertilizer to give them a boost incase uprooting them causes too much shock.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tammy For This Useful Post:

The OH's nursery only shipped in early spring but they were trees being planted in acres and acres of fields with no more attention given to them. Survival rates were higher in spring than fall. All you can do is try. Get a huge root ball for the shrubs. The older and more established the shrub the greater your chance it won't like the move. As Sundance says some garden plants are notoriously picky about moving, Paeonies are one. Yet we've had success with a very old honeysuckle the OH nearly broke his back moving and I have had success with even Paeonie.

I just moved some Woodland Sunflower from my garden to down the trail last night, thinking, hoping and praying it would rain. I took water too. Oban and I checked on them this morning. No rain but they are standing up tall and happy looking and had gotten a little droopy last night.

Oh, you need to find out what they are. Iris need to have some of the corm showing above ground to bloom and Paenie are really, really picky about how deep they are planted. Plants have their likes and dislikes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

I knew I would get great help here! Thank you all so much! I am uploading the photos to photobucket right now!
    Charlie and Burton

Please help me to identify:

Pink Flower

Pink Flower Whole Plant (I think the one next to it is the same plant)

A tree, I am not going to attempt to move this but I think I do need to cut some of that brown stuff off....right?

This wanted to be something, but I don't know what

Whole Plant

This one looks good, but not sure what it is

I think there is a pink rosebush, but I didn't get a good picture of it (it's raining out). I will try and get a better one later.
    Anyone know what that plant is at the bottom of the picture here? It has a really pretty smell to it when it blooms and the flowers are a light purple.

And then there are these,

Thank you so much for whatever you can offer! Maybe I won't have to move them after all...which I would be quite happy with.
    Charlie and Burton

Pink is Paeonie.

Don't cut the brown stuff off yet. It might be a Yew, Juniper or Pfitzer and all can be subject to winter browning which may recover. Basically their needles die and shed just like deciduous tree leaves. I'm not sure what they are though, not from the photo.

Not guessing the rest but the bottom one might be another form of Yew, Juniper or Pfitzer.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

the pink flower at the top is a peony. gorgeous flowers and the plants can get quite tall and full.

the next one - the tall, skinny tree - yes, trim that back and you can trim off all the bottom stuff and shape it the way you want.

the next one - with the long, thin, shoots, look like not very healthy day lilies. You could just cut those off all the way to the ground if you wanted. They are a bulb/tuber plant and will send up new shoots year after year. Perhaps your soil, under the bark mulch, is lacking in nutrients? I think for now that is what I would do - cut them all back, move the bark back, maybe lay down some new potting soil/fertilizer, cover the bark mulch back over it and let the plant renew itself.

the smaller pic of the healthy looking green bush: i'm not sure what that is, but it looks nice!

the next pic with the grouping of plants (that has the pink rosebrush at the top), I'm not sure what that one down at the bottom is, but maybe an azalea? usually azaleas are a little more full but i've seen them a bit bare like that also. if it's an azalea, they like acid soil and you may need some azalea fertilizer on it.

and that next one with the low lying, light greenish, pine-looking needles. that looks like juniper to me. Juniper will get real dry and brittle under it like it looks in that pic. Juniper also spreads alot. personally, i don't like juniper at all and generally it's not recommended to have it near the house because it does spread quite wide and is highly flammable. since i live in a forested area, we are real conscious of creating a defensible space around our homes and juniper fuels a fire because of how dry the needles underneath get. I realize you are probably in more of a neighborhood type setting where maybe that's not a concern.

you can also take small clipping from any of these plants and bring them to your local nursery and they can give you exact info of what they are, how to care for them, etc. i might be wrong on some of these. it's happened a time or two.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tammy For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (05-29-2014), POPTOP (05-29-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos