Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation E Collar? A whole new thing for me. Need your help

Here in this forum, I asked so many questions about Latte's training; recall, obedience etc. And your suggestions always help me train my dog correctly. I used to find no need using e collars for training. However I did some research here and on the internet and found out that it can help in most situations.

Here in my country, it's very VERY hard to find pet safe areas, dog parks, socialization groups etc. And so much waste on the streets. (this will make sense later on this thread ) These conditions make me consider using an E Collar for Latte.

Here's why
    • I use a 6 feet long leash. I can't let her off leash to sniff and explore because the areas she wants to explore is not safe. So it becomes me being dragged after her. I'm afraid she is getting used to the idea of me chasing after her.
    • I can't use a long leash all the time because there is always a stray dog coming towards Latte to play and get knotted by the leash. *Sigh*
    • Latte often eats whatever she finds on the ground and she always finds stool. There are SO MANY idiots that doesn't pick up their dogs' stool from the ground. An there are the stray dogs' stool of course.
    • I hear about stray dogs poisoning by some mean people. They put some food around!
    • She ALWAYS finds bones on the ground. EVERYDAY. And I don't have a treat with a higher value than a bone to make her Leave It or Drop It. I put my hand into Latte's mouth to take the bone and Latte is fed up with it. (I can't blame her) She started to run away from me when there's a bone in her mouth which is a BAD thing to learn.
    • She never listens to me when there are other dogs. I'm working on it though but I haven't made any progress yet.

So
    • I NEED to rely on her off leash. I NEED her to come towards me reliably. I need to walk her off leash comfortably.
    • I NEED to make her drop anything in her mouth.
    • Do you think I should use an E Collar?
    • I've been doing some research about E Collars but do you offer any resources that I can find the best information? (I am looking into kellymccoy's posts)
    • Do I always have to use the E Collar or is it something like clicker that only teaches the behavior and fades out?
    • Is there an age limit to use an E Collar? Can I use it on 4 month old?

If I decide to use an E Collar, there will be more questions coming on the way

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by sipsi; 03-26-2015 at 11:37 AM.

First you want to train without it. The real only good thing a ecollar is for would be working at a distance away from you. Right now she is too young for both the ecollar and being away from you. You do not want to even worry about off leash I would say until after a year old. I didn't let Hemi go off leash for walks or anything until he was about a year and a half. He had to walk good on leash before he got to walk off leash. Then as far as age. 8-9 months is where I would look at Ecollar if you think you need it. Right now also at this age is critical. You need to do a lot of good and positive training. Train Recall, train leave it, train them all on leash get it drilled into her head. Right now you are building the foundation for the dog you want to have by training the puppy.

You can train a very strong recall without ever even using a ecollar. ecollar without the proper training can actually prove harmful. Suppose she is walking towards something, you zap her and it scares her and she runs off into traffic. You need to train a solid recall.

Hemi loves fireworks for example. I have a good solid recall, you can see in this video. I didn't grabbing the firework. So his recall worked, twice. It can break his attention on anything.
    https://vid1251.photobucket.com/album...pssq2kgz3q.mp4

To train recall, you need to choose your word. Then when you say it and the dog comes to you. When you use your recall word you make it the happiest moment ever. Lots of praise and hugs and dancing and treats. Practice, practice, practice. Bring in other people to help. Have them play with a toy, you say the recall word and she should come to you right now and there and give her praise and love and treats and let her go back to playing. Your not out to punish her. This way when you use it and you really need it, it will work.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Bamps (03-31-2015), sipsi (03-26-2015)

Senior Dog
    Although an e-collar may be appropriate in the future, I don't think it's what you need right now. An e-collar is not a shortcut or replacement for training, and what I'm seeing in your post is (understandable) frustration with Latte's not listening.

Latte is still a little baby- not yet 4 months according to your ticker!- and you need to keep working on the fundamentals with her.

We used an e-collar with Kimber when she was about 2 and we'd take her to a very large off-leash park. Her recall had been solid but she was going deaf around other dogs. But my understanding of the e-collar was that it was appropriate after she was thoroughly trained in recall and just needed a reminder.

But I also understand that you are dealing with a totally different culture and Latte is exposed to dangers that Kimber is not. Hopefully Cookie's owner will pop in and share her experiences.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

sipsi (03-26-2015)

Your pup is way to young for E collar training. I think perhaps when you are frustrated you need to remember you are dealing with a very young puppy and training takes a lot of time, patients and consistency. I personally think you are expecting to much to soon and by doing that you are setting yourself up for unnecessary frustration

Slow down, she isn't even 4 months yet. Its possibly going to be months before she is reliable off a leash especially in areas with distractions. Keep her on a long line, you can purchase them online, they make lines as long as 50 feet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Tanya (03-26-2015)

She is a tiny baby and way too young for e-collar. I didn't start Luna with an e-collar until she was 18 months old, and that was ONLY because a life-or-death situation occurred.

Be patient and follow the advice above.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

sipsi (03-26-2015)

I agree with Doubledip. E-collar should be used to reinforce already learned behavior.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (03-26-2015), sipsi (03-26-2015)

Agree with Sparky and Doubledip. Our trainer did not start us on ecollar training until Bacon had mastered basic obedience without hesitation. I would consult with a professional if you can.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (03-26-2015), sipsi (03-26-2015)

Agree with the others. She is still a baby. I wouldn't expect from a three-month old to have a reliable recall. I wouldn't expect a reliable recall from an 8 month old for that matter For now, I'd keep it positive. Treats, toys, play, anything to take her attention off the bones and to come to you. Don't let her off-leash unless you are in a fenced area.

Mine would never come for a treat. But he'll run towards me for a tennis ball.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

barry581 (03-26-2015), doubledip1 (03-26-2015), sipsi (03-26-2015)

Actually I don't want to use it at this age, too. Today, Latte put a few sharp edged bones in her mouth several times and I had hard times getting them out. I freaked out and panicked. I was like ''Omg what if she got hurt!'' And I came up with the E Collar idea and ran to the forum

Yes, I am impatience but even if it takes a long time, it's great to see Latte make progress. I only want the best for her. I just wanted to know what an E Collar is and if I may use it in my conditions any time in the future. So you made it clear. THANKS to all of you!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sipsi For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (03-26-2015)

Senior Dog
    I asked another member from Turkey to please take a look at this thread and see what she has to recommend for you...her ID is capra.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

capra (03-26-2015), sipsi (03-27-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos