Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone ever had a grieving pet?

We said goodbye to Ti-Loup on Tuesday. It had created a huge void in our lives. Ticker who is two years is grieving. She is so lost without her sister. She cries and whines looking for her sister. Its heart breaking. Anyone have any ideas how to make this easier for her. I myself am a total mess. I miss my old girl so much. She was my shadow, my sole mate, my rock.

So sorry for your loss. Yes, we had a lab who grieved horribly. When Potion passed, Melody would howl which got me crying which made her howl more. She slowed down eating, constantly looking for Potion. I finally took her to the vet to make sure nothing else was going on and the vet agreed, she was grieving.

The best I can suggest is to keep a normal schedule. Up the training schedule to keep her mind busy. She needs to have her time to grieve just like you do. Hugs to Ticker.

Rest In Peace Sweet Ti-Loup

So sorry. Rest in peace Ti-Loup.

So sorry for your loss. Miia grieved when we lost Daisy, which made our own grieving even harder to deal with. We tried taking Miia for more walks and she seemed a little better on them. We also bought some new toys and tried playing with her more, but she wasn't as interested in that. RIP sweet Ti-Loup.

We're so very sorry for your loss of Ti-Loup. Lot's of attention to Ticker will help as will time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Run free young girl.
    -pawprints-jpg

My Noah grieved very bad when Fannie passed. He absolutely adored her. After Fannie passed, I'd let Noah out into the yard, and he would go to the far corner and just lay down, his head between his front paws. It was winter, and we had a lot of snow that year, and he'd just lay there in the snow. I know his heart was broken. I'd go out to him and sit in the snow and rub his head, and tell him how much I missed her too. He'd come back into the house with me, but I'd have to leash him to get him to come. This went on for about 3 months. He was about 10 years old at the time, and even though he was better, I'm not sure he ever really got over it.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I still get a bit teary eyed thinking about the ones who have crossed the bridge.

Senior Dog
    I'm so sorry to hear about Ti-Loup...Run Free, sweet girl.

Most of my dogs haven't even seemed to notice any difference when we've lost others...but Danny grieved when we lost our last cat, Charlie. They were best buds. Although Dan's reaction wasn't quite as pronounced as Ticker's, we couldn't say the word "cat" or Charlie's name for about 6 months without having Danny go in search of his buddy. That was two and a half years ago and I still find myself tending to spell out C.A.T. and cringe every time we run into our neighbor with her new puppy named Charlie...you can tell that Dan notices something amiss.

I paid extra attention to Dan (and Sunnie, even though she didn't really react all that much) during the months when he was noticeably confused. Other than that and the spelling, there didn't seem to be much we could do.

I am sorry for your loss.

I have never had a dog that has not grieved the loss of another in my house. My Max who passed last year grieved so badly that I ended out getting a new dog so that he could have a friend. Same thing happened when Max passed. But even after I got Molly my older girl would still lay by the food waiting for Max. This went on until Cassie and Molly became friends. `

I'm so sorry for your loss. Run free sweet Ti-Loup.

Sky grieved for Cody after his passing. She would lay on the couch and had very little interest in anything. It was so very hard because there was very little I could do for her. After a month of little change we began to search for a new puppy. It was a bit faster than planned because I was so worried about Sky. And it really helped her. She took an interest in the puppy. What was really sad was the way the dog next door grieved and cried for Cody. Poor Dillon didn't know what happened and he would bark for Cody to come to the fence each day.

Puppy
    I'm sorry to hear about Ti-Loup, it's never easy or without grief for everyone including Ticker. When we lost Haley last year our other girl Cherry was so distraught she wouldn't even eat or do her favorite thing and chase squirrels. It was hard enough deling with my grief but seeing her grief was more than I could take. I tried more walks since she didn't want to play not even with other dogs and just spent every minute I could with her but I had to work and life had to go on. It wasn't long until lab rescue had a dog that needed to be fostered so I thought maybe this would help her just having a buddy around so we fostered him. She didn't like him at first but after a day they became best friends and we wound up adopting him. It's been a blessing for us all. It helped us all move forward and though Haley can never be replaced I do think she had a paw in helping Charlie find his forever home. Maybe when you feel up to it consider fostering, you never know what uplifting things are just around the corner. Hugs to you and Ticker.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos