Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Importance of Eating Cereal

Do you eat breakfast everyday? If so do you eat a healthy cereal? Researches are saying that 10 grams of fibre a day whether in cereal or beans et al goes a long way into making us live longer. I recently became a little more aware of what I am eating etc and added cereal to my breakfast a few times a week. The other days I have hard boiled eggs which is supposed to be good for you as well.

On the same note I was eating a cereal that was good for you but just too high in fat and felt like I was gaining weight. I finally settled on a couple of cups of Bran Flakes with some fruit along with Almond Milk.

An ingredient to a long life, in your cereal bowl - CNN.com
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

I'll usually have a nice bowl of oatmeal and a banana for breakfast.

We have porridge (oatmeal) in winter. Usually throw a handful of blueberries in. I can taste a difference when the OH makes it. I put a wee snick of butter and a wee pinch of salt in, that's how I learned to make it. He doesn't and it tastes raw to me, more like it's plant matter. Does anyone else put the wee bit of butter and salt in? Oh, and brown sugar on top of course, but that goes on after it's cooked.

Yep, I like some butter and salt and I also put almond milk in mine after it's in the bowl. I usually add a few things to my oatmeal -- quinoa, chia, flax, and hemp seeds.

Used to always add butter to my porridge. Now it's brown sugar, sunflower seeds and/or raisins plus milk. In warmer season it's Raisin Bran, just milk please. I'll often add a separate piece of fruit or a slice of toast - our own bread, flour, yeast, water, salt. One slice of toast has peanut butter and jam, often our raspberry chipotle jam and the other some butter.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Have a bowl of Cherrios every morning, milk only, no sugar. I feel really lost when I run out. Later in the morning I'll usually grab a banana or apple for a boost.

Always fix oatmeal with a pinch or salt but no butter. Brown sugar is a must. I had an aunt who always started out breakfasts with farina or oatmeal, then pancakes or eggs and bacon. Need a good breakfast working on the farm.

Oatmeal with honey or brown sugar is great. Sometimes a chunk of coconut oil instead.

Raisins or cranberries are a nice twist as well.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Something I discovered recently is "Teff" it is an African Grain, you want the whole grain not the flour.

Teff Porridge
    1/2 cup Teff
    1 cup water,
    bring to a boil then simmer slowly in a small sauce pan until it thickens. About 10 minutes, when water starts getting low in there stir frequently as it gets dry really quick and you don't want it to burn

Stir in about 1/2 cup Blueberries, dust with cinnamon, little drizzle of honey, then I add about 12 almonds as well.

Its kind of a nutty tasting sweet grain.

Another one I make is
    Quinoa Berry Blast.

1/2 cup Quinoa, white or red.
    1 cup water, boil and simmer for about 10 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
    Leave on the stove add in
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1/4 cup chopped strawberries
    1/4 cup blue berries
    Simmer for 5 more minutes.
    Add
    12 almonds
    drizzle of honey.

I used to do oatmeal only but started branching out a lot.

On both dishes, I start them going then while simmering is when I get Hemi his breakfast too. About the time I am done with that and wash my hands they are about ready to eat. So pretty fast and easy and something different.

I have some issues due to a couple of prescription drugs I take. With providing all the gory details, I try to eat at least 30 grams of fiber per day, and on doctors orders, miralax every 3 or 4 days.

I try to avoid eating cold cereal, even though I eat the healthy stuff, I usually end up eating most of a box all at once. And definitely prefer almond or soy milk, I've always thought cow milk was gross.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos