Puppy

Starting to come in to her own

forgot my old info, so I had to make a new one.

My 3 year old lab, Remi, started really becoming a wonderful hunting dog. I'm not much of a trainer. I'm 25 and not as disciplined as I need to be. And she's also my first dog.She's great with basic commands, and will stop on a dime for me. But when it comes to hunt training I was never able to make it so her and I were on the same page.

What I found worked, was my cousins hunting dog retrieves ducks without commands, and is just very in tune to what's going on. So I took Remi hunting with his dog, and she picked up what Kona was doing and before long they were working together and acting like they knew what they were doing lol.

Then my father in law got me in to upland hunting..... He has two very good French Brittany pointers and does a month long Montana pheasant and grouse trip every year. After his trip this year he convinced me to go to a game farm that he frequents to keep his dogs in shape. He spoke very highly of their operation, their cover, and their birds.

The first trip we took, I kept Remi at my side and let the pointers work. Welp, we got about 50 yards in and as I was walking with Remi directly at my side, her nose went down to the ground and her body got perfectly straight and she picked her left front leg up. My father in law hollered over that she was on a bird and to get ready. Sure enough, I released her and after she held her point for about 10 seconds she flushed her first pheasant. I hit it, and it went down about 30 yards away in some tough cover. She came right out and brought me the bird.

Since then we've been back about 5 times, and has become my pointing, flushing, retriever. Yesterday she found and retrieved 11 quail, 4 chukar and 3 pheasants. She's tough as nails, has a phenomenal nose, would knock down a barn to get a bird, and has a heart of gold. She's only given a handful of false points, and doesn't give up looking for a wounded or downed bird unless commanded to.

I'm so proud of my spoiled house dog. Sorry for the long post, but I can't get over how much she loves what she does. And the pointing thing blows me away. This fall will be her and my first trip to Montana for a month to hunt out wild birds.

Here's a few photos. The first is her last duck of the season and the second is yesterday's upland hunt.

I love that shot of her in the second picture. She has that look of all business!!!!!!!!

You know, of course that labs are not supposed to point... right?

Kidding.

Check this out:
    American Pointing Labrador Association - Home

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    I love that shot of her in the second picture. She has that look of all business!!!!!!!!
    I like it too. It's hard to get her out of hunting mode. The moment I pull a gun out of the cabinet, whether it be to clean it, or put it in a case, she gets a look in her eye.

Fantastic! My husband can't wait to take our pup out duck hunting.

I'm hesitant because he's still not great with commands...very much still a puppy. Your post made me feel a bit better about him becoming a hunting dog.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos