Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you are a grandparent...

what do your grandchildren call you? And if they have another grandparent, or pair of grans, what do they call them?

My kids had 3 sets of grands so there was 1. Grandmommy and Granddaddy, 2. Grandma A and Grandpa B, and 3. Grandma C and Grandpa D. We called my mother's parents Grandmommy and Granddaddy, except for my younger sister who called them Paul and Edna (!) My other grands were Mom and Pop. Since I have 2 grown kids, surely I'll need to be called something grandparent-ish one of these days. Just wondering what others call theirs.

I must have too much time on my hands today
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Well, I'm Grammie, and the DH (step) grandfather likes to be called Bumps. My first DH, and the father of my boys, passed away before they were born, but would probably have chosen Grandpa.
    The other set is Naunie and Poppa.
    Names chosen by us.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

Mostly I'm called Grandpa Ron, sometimes they just call me Grumpy

Senior Dog
    I worked with a woman who had...um...age issues. She refused the "grand" moniker in any form and had her grandkids call her Mimi. Mimi wasn't even close to her name.

I'm certainly not a grandparent, but my niece calls my mom "Gam", and my dad "Gamp" or "Gampy"

My DD's kid call us Grandpop and Grandmom. My son's boy calls us Mommom and Poppop. Didn't really pick the names, just kinda happened.

My parents/in-laws are Grandmaman (or mammie) and Opa, Oma and grandpa and grandpapa/grandma. Names are chosen by them but we shall see what the kids come up with when they can speak.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Big Brother and Sister to:
    Leila Claire Hidden Content

Well I'm not but I do have a great nephew who is being taught to call my sister Nana and my BIL Poppa. Why they picked these names is beyond me as the child already has two of us he calls Aunt Nancy. Or he will when he is talking better, he's almost two. Won't that be confusing? And you all know Poppa is Oban's humpy toy so that might confuse the child or my dog. LOL He only has one other grand, his Grandma.

I was sad at work when a lady said her children absolutely were not going to be allowed to call her Dutch parents Oma and Opa. That's what the grands wanted and she was very much against it. I don't know why but isn't it sad?

My kids call my parents Mimi (was "grammy" but the first grandchild shortened it!) & Papa. The other side are Nonna (she's from Italy) and Papa David.

We pretty much let our parents decide what they wanted to be called. I agree, crazy that a parent wouldn't allow Oma and Opa. I would've been fine with pretty much anything my parents or inlaws chose.

She refused the "grand" moniker in any form and had her grandkids call her Mimi. Mimi wasn't even close to her name.
    Sundance, she may indeed have age issues, but Mimi is an acceptable grandparent name in current circles, I think because, as I mentioned above, it comes from Grammy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ArchieSit For This Useful Post:

SunDance (03-31-2015)

Our grans call us Nana and Papa. The other grandmother they call grandma. Unfortunately, grandpa on that side of the family passed not long after the first grandson was born.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos