Putting It All Together

The sessions with our trainer ended last week. We have taken what we have learned and have been implementing them in our day to day activities. Our Rosie has gotten much better on the "Leave it" and "Drop it" commands especially on our walks. I have also been getting her used to more distractions on our walks by taking her on major streets and walking by people. She still wants to go up to people but is learning she can't unless I give her the OK. On our walks she is even looking at me more. It's like she is asking me "Am I doing ok mommy ?"

Her sit, down and stay are good and now we are working on length of time on these commands. I had previously stated that during our dinnertime we would crate her and she would end up barking and whining. We nixed that idea and we have been blocking her off from the kitchen while we eat and she'll lie by the gate leading into the kitchen. This has been working for us so we will continue doing this.

Another thing we are working on is her counter surfing. She'll only do this when I am working in the kitchen. I create an imaginary line and she is not to cross that line until I give the command. This helps with her sit stay and down stay. Not sure who this is more challenging for, her or me LOL.

Rosie challenges us almost everyday and she is learning that she will not always win. I will admit that all she has to do is give me that sad puppy dog look and I melt. You guys know that look right ?

Rosie has come a long way from her mouthy land shark spawn of satan days to a more relaxed and tired happy dog. The training is not over and I am sure it never will but at least I have all the arsenal I need to combat these situations. If not, the trainer will come back!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn4107-jpg  

This all sounds great! With the staying out of the kitchen, don't forget to give her treats when she's being good. I'd just throw them at her so they land behind her -- important that they land behind her and not in front of her. Cut up string cheese works well for this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

rochie427 (04-01-2015)

Great progress! Positive reinforcement training with treats and tons of love and patience works so well. Great idea with the baby gate instead of the crate. Different methods for different dogs.

The training goes on for life but does get MUCH easier reinforcing known commands than the initial training. Speaking of which, Archie needs a major brush up on his door manners.

Rosie is our hero!

Yay for Rosie and yay for your family! As mommy to another once mouthy land shark spawn of satan, I am so impressed with you guys! How long did it take her to get the "Out of the kitchen!" command? Our last lab just got it, but Ellie just can not resist the open dishwasher (Must..Lick..The...Dishwasher!). We go round and round every night after dinner.
    Hidden Content
    The Belly Monster!

Quote Originally Posted by happy_blackbird View Post
    Yay for Rosie and yay for your family! As mommy to another once mouthy land shark spawn of satan, I am so impressed with you guys! How long did it take her to get the "Out of the kitchen!" command? Our last lab just got it, but Ellie just can not resist the open dishwasher (Must..Lick..The...Dishwasher!). We go round and round every night after dinner.
    We're really not using "Out of the kitchen" command just blocking her from coming into the kitchen when we are eating dinner. When I am home alone with her I allow her in the kitchen when I am eating. She is slowly getting the idea that she has to either sit or lie down by my feet and not jump up. When she behaves she knows she will get a lot of praise and a treat. Rosie likes to lick the open dishwasher as well!!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos