Puppy

Barking at people coming in office

Wyatt is4 monthes old and has just started to bark at a few people coming into the office. He goes to work with me.

also my wife was walking him down our country road and I cut through the woods to catch up to him and he barked at me with hair
    on his back up. Didn't know it was me until I got closer. Should we be concerned he is getting aggressive?

Could be a fear stage. Archie got afraid of strangers for about a month around 8 months old.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

I bring both dogs to the office every day. If I see someone drive up, I'll put Misty on her leash to prevent her from barking. She's just annoying! Bogey on the other hand is the most loving dog and simply wants a pat on the head which most people are willing to do. I do not know what to think of Misty's behavior. She rarely barks at home. I don't think she's trying to defend us from these "strangers." I do believe that she was abused in her former home and perhaps that's where it's coming from. Once she recognizes someone who comes in often she won't bark at them any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
    Wyatt is4 monthes old and has just started to bark at a few people coming into the office. He goes to work with me.

also my wife was walking him down our country road and I cut through the woods to catch up to him and he barked at me with hair
    on his back up. Didn't know it was me until I got closer. Should we be concerned he is getting aggressive?
    No. Your pup is not aggressive. He's just a baby, learning about the world around him. He's probably letting you know he's a little unsure of the people coming in. It's good you take him to your office, but be sure to get him out and about to other places, so he can learn that the world is a fun place and not scary at all.

What do YOU do when he starts to bark? Do you correct him, yell at him, reassure him with a good boy in a soft tone? If you yell or correct, don't. If you give him a reassuring, "oh that's okay," you're also doing it wrong. That's rewarding him for barking, either way. So, what can you do? Let him know you've got his back. If one of mine start to bark, we go to the door and look. Very matter of factly I say nope, no one there. Let's go back in. One of our other members, Snowshoe, laughs at the dog for barking. If mom (or dad) is laughing, it can't be something to be afraid of, now can it?

As far as the barking at you incident, until you got closer. A lot of people don't realize dogs (with certain breed exceptions) don't see all that well. And at 4 months old, he's still in an undeveloped stage. Happens all the time, even when they get older. Please don't assume aggressiveness or dominance. It's neither. It's just a case of not being able to see all that well yet. Plus, you probably startled him in that situation, not expecting you to appear from the woods. I'd probably scream, myself.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-30-2014)

Puppy
    thank you for the useful information

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos