Thread: Walking Issues

Walking Issues

Oliver is very good on a leash. Especially since we got the Freedom No-Pull Harness my only issue is when he sees a kid throwing a ball. All bets are off. He will focus on the flying object and try to go after it. Nothing I do stops him until I have literally dragged him out of sight of the object and even then he tries to go back in the direction that the flying object was in. Tonight I realized just how big he is getting because I almost couldn't drag him away. I told him "no", I redirected his attention to me, I stopped and tried to get him to focus and nothing worked. Finally I just kept dragging until we got home. My neighbor asked who was walking who when we passed her house. It is only getting nicer out which means lots of kids with balls. How do I make it stop?
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Wishing you good luck, any ball Buddy sees is automatically his and he's 105 pounds of Lab Puppy. Maybe carry an extra ball to divert his attention???

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ronmcq For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (04-03-2015)

So tempting. Keep working in heel and especially watch me. Take your special treats along getting him to focus on you. It will get better with consistent training.

You are kicking against the pricks. This following a flying object to the ground and picking it up in a big fat hurry is so deeply ingrained in the labrador DNA... is it any wonder it's hard to stop? I think it's almost a lifetime mission to get that instinct under control. (In a way that a Cocker Spaniel's or Akita's owner would never understand.)

The pro I work with has told me that Rocket Dog will always be a threat to go, and that we're going to be revisiting steadiness for her whole life. And, I swear, the only time in her life when she wasn't learning SIT-STAY was before she was 7 weeks of age. And if you believe that their lives with their litter mates involves learning limits and good doggy manners... then, since her eyes opened, she's been working on it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

barry581 (04-02-2015)

I used treats to get past those types of distractions. Now a simple leave it works fine

What do you do to try to redirect? How do you try to stop him? How do you get him to try to focus on you?

And, do you do all of these things in training, without distractions?

We proofed stays with balls. It's a lot of work, takes time. We did it in class and had a helper at first, the facility owner's husband. LOL, I really think the reason the dog who broke her stay was the Doberman was because everyone was expecting it to be the Lab, Oban, and was watching him. Once we learned in a formal setting that was somewhat removed from the real world your situation was easier to handle. Are you going to classes still? I know I didn't think formal obedience would interest me but it's remarkable how much of it fits in to everyday life.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (04-03-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    We proofed stays with balls. It's a lot of work, takes time. We did it in class and had a helper at first, the facility owner's husband. LOL, I really think the reason the dog who broke her stay was the Doberman was because everyone was expecting it to be the Lab, Oban, and was watching him. Once we learned in a formal setting that was somewhat removed from the real world your situation was easier to handle. Are you going to classes still? I know I didn't think formal obedience would interest me but it's remarkable how much of it fits in to everyday life.
    Our trainer also had us proof our stays with Rosie using a ball. She had us bounce the ball by Rosie while having her stay. She is getting better with this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rochie427 For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (04-03-2015)

you need to use VERY high valu treats. A moving ball is like super high valu to many dogs (penny isn't a lab but indeed another dog playing fetch (or something throwing a ball) is a crazy high distraction for her).

You need to find something to help you win your dogs attention. Maybe bring your own ball on walks, but absolutely use VERY stinky high value treats to help.

Senior Dog
    We teach “leave it” as “leave it and come HERE”, so the dog has to look away from whatever it is that caught their attention and turn that attention towards us. Practice that (we use treats) with increasingly harder distractions. For something like your are describing, difficulty increases the closer you get, so start a distance where you’re pretty sure you can enforce it, and reward heavily, gradually getting closer and still insisting on compliance.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos