Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Hi!! New Lab owner, tons of questions I didn't think I'd have!

Hi Everyone,
    Today is day 4 with our new yellow lab pup, Haley. She is 7 weeks old, no previous vet care and initially was thought to be coming from reputable breeders. We drove nearly 300 miles on Monday (roundtrip) to get her, and were surprised by what we found. She seemed to be in good health, and the breeder delivered what she'd promised. Parents were on site and although it seemed a little early, and slightly strange, we took her home. She's been a great pup this far but the vet won't see her until next week, so between now and next week I feel like I'm acting like a freak with all of the things that could be wrong with her. Her tummy's round, I assume worms; she's acting lazy, I assume parvo; I'm going nuts over this! Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated. This feels worse than taking care of my three baby girls (humans :-) ). Thanks all; nice to meet you!

You can always take in a stool sample to be tested before they see her. Being a puppy, she probably does have worms. As far as parvo goes, I'm not sure what the likelihood is in your area. I don't know much about parvo at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

drpearson7 (05-30-2014)

Hi and welcome! Can you find a different vet that can see her sooner? That might give you some answers.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new pup!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to monsterpup For This Useful Post:

drpearson7 (05-30-2014)

Hi and welcome! I think that a thorough vet check-up would be a good thing for both of you - you'd know where you're at and Haley would be "safe". Looking forward to pics and a hopefully optimistic update.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

drpearson7 (05-30-2014)

Congratulations on your new pup and welcome to the board. Can you call your vet and ask the same questions to see if it's urgent enough to bring Haley in sooner? The vet may be able to put your mind at ease, too.

My encouragement to you would be not to let your imagination run away with you. I suffer from this affliction myself, and it can get pretty bad Our Mocha swallowed a sock and, in my mind, I already had him in surgery! Turns out it he chewed it up pretty well so it came on out. Enjoy your new puppy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

drpearson7 (05-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CraftHer View Post
    Congratulations on your new pup and welcome to the board. Can you call your vet and ask the same questions to see if it's urgent enough to bring Haley in sooner? The vet may be able to put your mind at ease, too.

My encouragement to you would be not to let your imagination run away with you. I suffer from this affliction myself, and it can get pretty bad Our Mocha swallowed a sock and, in my mind, I already had him in surgery! Turns out it he chewed it up pretty well so it came on out. Enjoy your new puppy.
    I know how that feels; I don't care that much about myself, but when it comes to my dogs, I'm pretty paranoid always seeing the worst that may happen and I get really worried. Well, they say: "Hope for the best, be ready for the worst," but enough is enough and going too far is dangerous.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

drpearson7 (05-30-2014)

I know how you feel, I didn't think I was a worrier until Daisy came into my life. If she's lazy I worry there is something deathly wrong with her.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

drpearson7 (05-30-2014)

Hello and Welcome!

We home only older dogs but I can tell you, the concern never changes.

Looking forward to pictures.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

drpearson7 (05-30-2014)

Puppy
    Thanks all for the warm welcome! I was able to touch base with vet & local co-op, get Haley treated with a dewormer, and she's doing just fine. Feeling encouraged. Thank you all again.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to drpearson7 For This Useful Post:

WhoopsaDaisy (05-30-2014)

I know this feeling too. Bobby stole a KFC bone from the bin at 3 months and I freaked out. He chewed it very well and it was pretty much in crumbles but my mind was on hyper-drive. I was just about ready to dial the vet and tell them we were on our way for an emergency obstruction surgery! Bobby came out fine and we learnt to keep the bins off the floor.

Anyway, hello and welcome! Glad all is well with Haley.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos