Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lizzie Update, she has definitely fit right in, a whole new life for her.

So some may remember back in December my sister rescued a black lab from the south. Meet Lizzie (Elizabeth Swan) The rescue agencies in Michigan kept turning her down because she didn't have a fenced in yard. Surprisingly, we come to find out 3 vets in the area that Lizzie has gone to since she came into the family have also all been turned down from rescuing dogs because they don't have a fenced in yard. While I find this a totally stupid reason to prevent dogs from going to loving homes, this is not the thread to debate that. It all worked out for one dog down on her luck. December we picked up Lizzie from a shelter transport in Illinois and we brought her to her new forever home. She had given birth to a litter of pups earlier that summer and the people kept the pups and turned her over to the shelter, more on this later as there is more to the story now. The Shelter had her spayed and began searching for a home to take her in. She had double ear infections, was horribly underweight, and heart worm positive. Also she was extremely timid and shy and knew nothing. She wouldn't speak and cowered if anyone even raised their voices. We also don't think she ever had toys as she wasn't sure what to do with them. Oh and her coat was horrible. Dirty dull and dry.

Here is how thin she was when she came home.

Well here she is today, I tried getting another top down shot but I swear you can not keep her still anymore. She has filled out and is happy and healthy. The odd patches on her back by her butt is where they shaved her for the heart worm treatments but that's all growing in quickly.

She now knows several commands, sit and shake and down and working on leave it. My sister was so excited last week too, on Good Friday she got the zoomies. The first time since she has been in the house she did some butt tucking joyful running. My sister is going to look into taking her to learn canine musical freestyle for something fun for the both of them to do. She is really funny and sweet. When you tell her it is time for supper, and finally my sister through a lot of patients taught her she has to sit while she is being fed, she has a small raise platform about 4 inches tall her bowl goes on. She run over to that platform and sits down right beside it with her front feet up on the platform patting on the stool like, Right here mom, my bowl goes right here, how about now, right here. I know it goes right here.

She barks and plays with toys and just generally loves life.

Another Pic from Left to Right, Hemi, Lizzie, and Uncle Mac all sitting waiting for a treat, or at least my sister is trying to herd 3 hungry labs with tasty treats. She is quite the contrast to the 2 big English boys. However, she is just as much fun and all as much lab.

So while Lizzie is finally in a great home and will have a great life ahead of her. I hate to bring down such a good update. However much the way the world goes, there is good and there is bad. The shelter she came from recently reported they now have all her children. The people that kept them and dropped her off to the shelter decided they couldn't handle 6 teenage labs as they are now all around 8-9 months. So they drove them all to town, dropped them off and drove away. 5 were rounded up successfully, unfortunately the 6th was hit by a car. He has undergone a lot of surgery but is expected to recover. All are malnourished. They are all at the same shelter Lizzie came from. He will do his best to try to find each and every one of them a home. Some people should just never be let to have dogs.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (04-06-2015), barry581 (04-07-2015), Blackboy98 (04-08-2015), ChoppersDad (04-07-2015), Dallas dawg (04-06-2015), Doreen Davis (04-07-2015), janedoe (04-07-2015), Jollymolly (04-06-2015), lovemylabby (04-07-2015), MikeLynn (04-06-2015), OHfemail (04-07-2015), POPTOP (04-06-2015), ronmcq (04-07-2015), Snowshoe (04-08-2015), Sue-Ram (04-06-2015)

Lizzie looks great. I hope her kids end up in fantastic homes like Lizzie.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-06-2015)

Good update on Lizzie! So sad for her pups It hurts my heart to know that is happening to sweet puppies.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-06-2015)

Lizzie's story brings tears. She has blossomed to be the lab she should always been given a chance to be.

Hope all her pups find good homes, just like her.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-06-2015)

Lizzie is such a pretty happy little girl. Am sorry to hear about her pups I guess the fun baby stage wore off
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

10. The Following User Says Thank You to labsnewfy For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-06-2015)

Great update. I hope all the pups find good homes. Thanks for sharing warms my heart to see a happy rescue

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-06-2015)

Boy, this post ran through quite a few emotions! Happy that Lizzie is doing so well. Angry that the poor girl didn't know what to do with toys. Excited about the possibility of the canine musical freestyle. Sad about the puppies. Hopeful that they'll all get adopted to homes as good as Lizzie's. Thanks for the update. I need a couple of tissues

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-06-2015)

I love that she finally got the zoomies such a happy ending for her

I hope her babies all find good homes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-06-2015)

Senior Dog
    Lookin good

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas dawg For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-07-2015)

Jeff thanks for the update! Seems as though Lizzie has landed on all four paws an can now look forward to a great life!!!! So sad to hear about her pups. Let's hope they can look forward to the same fate as their mom, a nice home, with great humans. And I agree with you 100%, some people really shouldn't have dogs.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-07-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos