Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pinch Collar Correct Size

I have been thinking I need to get a pinch collar on top of Oliver's current harness or instead of (I haven't figured that out yet) but not sure what size he would need. His neck is 18 inches so do I get a 20 inch collar?
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Our trainer fit the collar for Rosie. If you decide to get one have someone fit it for you.

I don't have a trainer and would get it from PetCo online since it is cheaper than the store. Is there no way to know what size without going to a store?
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I don't want to sound rude but it's going to be hard to say - someone who does not know how to size the prong or whether to use it with or without a harness really should go through a trainer - without coming off a little, not how I mean to sound. Strongly suggest looking into one of the many trainers there seem to be in Clarksville. This might help pick a trainer: Dog Trainer Search

We went through our trainer who showed how to fit it and how to use it. It was a Herm Sprenger with a life time guarantee which came in handy when Oban broke it. Cheap nickle plated prongs have been known to discolour light fur.

However, this fitting might help:

https://leerburg.com/pdf/fitprong.pdf

It's how my trainer fit Oban's. Labs have a lot more loose skin than Dobes. Most dogs puff up their necks a bit (like horses with the girth) when you put this collar on. It really, really is good to go to someone who knows how to size it and use it.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (04-07-2015), doubledip1 (04-07-2015), Labradorks (04-07-2015), Laura (04-07-2015), POPTOP (04-07-2015), Sue (04-07-2015), Tanya (04-07-2015)

I'd buy a larger one and just remove a couple of links.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Have you ever used a pinch collar before ? If not that is why I say have someone fit it to your dog. You don't want it too big or too small on his neck. Also they can show you how to use it properly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rochie427 For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (04-07-2015)

I would recommend having a trainer or someone experienced ensure the fit is right and that it is used properly. better safe than sorry. I am not anti prong but most people don't use them properly (or they are fitted all wrong). It's somewhat hard to tell you exactly what size to get without trying it on the dog to see.

I personally would not trust the staff at petco to guide me on this question though (or petsmart or most pet stores unless the staff HAPPENS to be very knowledgable - for real not just peopel who think they know it all haha)

ETA: what makes you think you need a pinch collar?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (04-07-2015)

Its tough to buy a prong online sight unseen. Prongs are supposed to be snug and sit high up on the neck. I've seen many dogs wearing prongs incorrectly. Definitely something you should go into the store to buy.

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    I agree with the above advice but will add one thing.

A prong collar should be fit to put it (and keep it) up close behind the ears, not lower around their neck where a flat buckle collar typically goes. Our trainer insisted on using the prong collar with the smallest-sized links, which is easy to size for your dog, and you can remove or add links as needed.

We've tried switching the leash back to Sophie's flat buckle collar on walks but she's "collar smart"; she pulls like crazy on it. So, we switch back to the prong collar and go merrily on our walk.
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

Buy the pinch for the adult sized dog. Since the individual links can be removed, you can adjust. Go for Medium links too, not large. Aim for slightly tighter than loose too.

I would probably do this one: German Steel Quick Release Collars l Dog Collars l JJ Dog

If you think you might need more links, get them vs. buying the "large" collar. I like the quick release because it's hard sometimes to work the links.

And dump the harness. Harnesses were designed for PULLING. They don't teach a dog anything about walking nicely on a leash. It just stops you from hearing their choking from pulling.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (04-07-2015), barry581 (04-07-2015), beth101509 (04-07-2015), POPTOP (04-07-2015), xracer4844 (04-08-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos