Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Pennies in a plastic bottle ok??

Ok..I have had zero luck with "leave it", "No bite", "No"...so I tried something this morning..and it worked, so I'm a bit scared that it was too easy. When Baron starts to bite, or jump up, or try to eat our carpet, I shake a bottle with pennies in it..Is this ok? It really seems to startle him.

Thanks all.

Bubby aka Jeremy

depends. some dogs do fine with it, others get stressed. it's a tricky age, fears can develop or they can be buggesr and fearless. i woudln't add it to my list of techniques to stop a puppy from biting peronsallly but to each their own, different things work for different dogs.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    I have used "shaker cans" in the past - usually a bleach bottle with a cap on the top (something of that size) with a handful of gravel...

They are fine - so long as you don't plan on going into a dog sport where you don't want to associate those types of loud sounds as a negative thing.

Personally, I think there are better ways that using shaker cans however, they can be effective to teach certain things!

We use the can of coins to scare Anthony off the kitchen counter, it startles him and he goes back to all 4s. The key to no bite and leave it is that unfortunately they have to be done over and over again until finally they get it. You can't take a can of coins with you on a walk (well you can but probably wouldn't want to) and 'leave it' is an important command when you're on leash walks and he comes upon 'stuff'.

I would keep keep at it and substitute a toy for the bite issue (each time, I know it's awful). If he's relentless, give yourself a break and put him in his crate with a puppy kong smeared with peanut butter or the Xpen idea with toys in it unless you want to follow him around 24/7. I make sure I get a break otherwise the repetiveness is mind numbing all day. We have a 17 mo male chocolate and a 12 mo old female yellow. They have time in their crates each day, even though we're home and around.

Hang in there:-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

Tanya (04-08-2015)

Puppy
    Ok. Well, it was good while it lasted! Only used it a few times. So, I'll only use it for extreme circumstances. Back to "Leave it" and "No Bite" we go! Thanks friends!

Puppy
    Oh, one other thing we are trying..we have a plastic container filled with puppy food for him and are using it as positive reinforcement when he stops biting or chasing the cat. My wife told me just now that she will shake that treat container when he is chasing the cats and he will stop and come running and sit down at her feet. Think this is an ok way to get him to stop chasing the cats?

I have used pennies in a can when Archie first joined us to keep him from begging at the table. BUT, he was 5 at the time. It did not take long before just the sight of the can on the table kept him from begging.

My hand rustling in the treat box is all that's needed to get Mardi and Archie front and center. Sounds like a method that works for your pup too. Be sure to give a treat and high praise, in fact, a praise party.

Hang in there, it will get better.

When he is chasing the cat and doing other things he is not supposed to be doing and the treats work, I'd associate it with a command so he learns something other than "when the noise happens, I run over for a treat". I would shake the can, say "leave it" then when he comes over, give him the treat and praise.

I taught "leave it" with food. With the dog on a leash I'd put a piece of kibble on the floor and to her to leave it when she went for it. The second she turned her head or stopped trying to go for it, I'd reward with a better treat I'd have in my hand. Eventually I built up to using more high value food.

Senior Dog
    I've found that super noisy things can seriously scare puppies and seem to contribute to a fear of either noises or myself if I'm the one shaking. Cats hate it even more.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos