Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Puppy treats increase hyper activity?

Just wondering about this. Does giving a puppy treats tend to increase the "highs" for them, and lengthen the "highs" too? I am wondering if it's like giving a young child a piece of candy....

We reserve a certain amount of kibble from their meals and use them as treats. Some treats are like snickers, just nutritional junk food but I honestly don't know about metabolic highs and lows in dogs and food impact..

would depend on the treat. when doing lots of training and rewarding, best to keep a portion of hteir meal as reward and then put in some high value treats in there (in very small pieces)

I don't think things like small pieces of a meat (chicken for example) or like dehydrated liver is particularly high sugar and apt to cause issues. but it's possible some treats (especially the big brands) have sugar and such in them that could cause issues.

I generally mix natural stuff (like meats from home, cheese - these are HIGH VALUE) with kibble (low valu) and some store bought treats (medium value depending) with fewer ingredients (like dehydrated liver) .

I feed good quality dog treats, I honestly never gave a "sugar high" any thoughts with my pups or adult dogs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (04-13-2015)

I use string cheese and turkey hot dogs for training treats, in general though I avoid processed foods. For the dogs anyways, lol.

I use string cheese and weiners too haha. Those were big go to's during agility. The meats are mostly if I happen to have leftover (especially when it's too little for a full meal for myself, makes good dog training treats).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (04-13-2015)

Puppy
    Ok, awesome. Thanks all. Maybe it is something to consider for younger puppies, avoiding the "brand name" type treats and just going natural with meats and cheeses.

It is possible to overdo the liver treats but that could lead to Vitamin A toxicity which would certainly not manifest as hyperactivity. That would lead to severe ill health and possible death. Yup, I know, what is an excessive amount of liver? I never could figure out for sure but I did stop using it as my only treat, just in case.

What are you using for treats? It helps if we know, since there are so many possibilities. Really, I suspect hyperactivity stems more from how treats are given than what they are. Even a puppy can be asked for a simple behaviour and earn his treats with a SIT, a toenail cutting or some eye contact work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Tanya (04-09-2015)

If you feed him junk food, then possibly. I typically use string cheese and sometimes dehydrated liver. Occasionally nitrate and sugar free turkey hot dogs.

A lot of dogs and puppies just get excited from treats and training. When I pull out the training collar or the clicker Linus acts like I just fed him a Snickers bar.

Turkey hotdogs cut up make an excellent tiny training treat as well.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos