Blackberry Care Question

A few years ago our neighbor gave us some blackberry plants. They grow very well. Trouble is they taste horrible/bitter. They are in a sandy, well draining soil on the side of the house, get plenty of sun. Asked my neighbor this evening about his and he says his are very sweet.

Anybody know what I need to do? Soil amendment? Lime? Fertilizer? They had lots of fruit last year and going great so far this year. Want to be able to eat them. Sugar did not help.

I just had to wait for all of our berries as well as our peach tree. Just horrible fruit for the first few years.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (05-30-2014)

I have raspberries, took 3 years before they were established and edible last year they were awesome and I am watching them every day now waiting for them to get some. Had the same with fruit trees when I was a kid, took a while for them to be any good. I think the first few years the plants spend most of their energy on actually growing than fruit producing.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I did blueberries once, game them up, lot of maintenance for little reward. Anyway, after planting the blueberries. several books and gardeners told me to actually pinch off the blossoms the first couple years since the berries would be no good and this would let the plant focus on growth. So blue berries are the same. Also on a side note. also depends when you pick them too. Just because the berries are the right color doesn't mean they are done. They should almost fall off in your hand when you pick them. Any resistance, they aren't ready yet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (05-30-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos