Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Get Off My Foot!

Oliver has always had to be within two inches of me. Does not matter what I am doing. Does not matter what he is doing. If he is sleeping and I get up he is up and at my side. This causes one problem that only gets worse the bigger he gets....Since he always has to be within two inches of me, that usually means he ends up standing on my foot. At first it was just a nuisance but now that he is 60 pounds, it hurts. He steps on my foot, I move him off of it while saying "ouch! get off my foot!". He looks at me like, "I am right here, what are we doing?!" He doesn't seem to understand that he is even standing on my foot. He should be able to feel my foot under his shouldn't he? Me moving him off my foot just seems to mean, "you moved me away, I must come back!" and he just gets back to his two inch space he needs to be in. How do I get him to understand that he hurts my foot and to stop standing on it?
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

LOL... I'm sorry. Step on his foot and he will step away.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppersDad For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (04-10-2015)

Might be easier to teach sit-stay, or down-stay so you can create some space between you and him. I don't know about all dogs, but Ram sucks at charades.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

You can push him a bit with your leg, not hard, but enough to move him a bit. As long as you are consistent, it will work. It just takes time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (04-10-2015)

I'm wondering if Rosie is related to Oliver LOL. Rosie has a habit of standing on my foot also. Thankfully I have my sneakers on when she does but it still hurts!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rochie427 For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (04-10-2015)

You should have said, Excuse my foot for being under yours.

Archie will occasionally do this to me but he had gotten his food accidentally stepped on a couple of times and he seems to be better. Of course, then I end up doing the don't step on the doggy paw dance.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (04-10-2015)

Training and patients. Hemi is always near me as well but when I am cooking in the kitchen he needs to stay out. Ok so little over 3 years trying to teach this but still it works. He gets things when I am cooking like a hunk of carrot or a piece of broccolli, a strawberry or a bluebeery and so on. However, this is the key he only gets them when he is sitting on the threshold to the kitchen. Not in the Kitchen but back just out of the kitchen. When ever I turn around with some food and he is not there and in close. I say sorry, where are you supposed to be. He gets out of the kitchen faster than a rabbit. He doesn't get a treat though, he only gets a treat when I a working and I turn around and he is out of the kitchen. So I do this again within a minute of him getting out. Kind of a reward for being a good boy. Of course he wanders in at least 4-5 times while i am cooking but he does get right out when I have something of value.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Training and patients. Hemi is always near me as well but when I am cooking in the kitchen he needs to stay out. Ok so little over 3 years trying to teach this but still it works. He gets things when I am cooking like a hunk of carrot or a piece of broccolli, a strawberry or a bluebeery and so on. However, this is the key he only gets them when he is sitting on the threshold to the kitchen. Not in the Kitchen but back just out of the kitchen. When ever I turn around with some food and he is not there and in close. I say sorry, where are you supposed to be. He gets out of the kitchen faster than a rabbit. He doesn't get a treat though, he only gets a treat when I a working and I turn around and he is out of the kitchen. So I do this again within a minute of him getting out. Kind of a reward for being a good boy. Of course he wanders in at least 4-5 times while i am cooking but he does get right out when I have something of value.
    This is one of the first things Oliver was taught. He is not to be in the kitchen while I cook or eat. This is mainly because I don't want a 90 pound dog under my feet while I am carrying a knife or near hot water. I am clumsy enough as it is, I don't need a dog to help. My parents let their dogs beg and it drives me nuts! So that is another reason he was taught to stay out.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yep, Velcro dog owner here too. I know that all too well. He's learned "move it!" mostly by repetition, no formal training. It's usually accompanied by a firm knee nudge out of the way (like when he tries to see what's in the grocery bags I'm carrying).

Of course as I type this he just came and flopped down on my feet under my standup desk. Oh well, they were kind of cold.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (04-11-2015)

Real Retriever
    I feel your pain, literally!

Sunshine doesn't have a need to be clingy, or close, just curious about what I have and NEEDS to check it out. For grocery bags, I let her stick a nose in each one as I load in the car for about two seconds and she is fine with that. She has never tried to grab anything out of them, just needs to stick her nose in each one. If I don't do that she is all over me as I carry them inside and the feet get stepped on a lot.

Anywhere but the kitchen (it is OFF LIMITS) if I pull anything off a shelf or out of a drawer, I let her have a good sniff and that solves the stepping on my feet issue. Any other random times, she has me trained to turn my foot inward to avoid having her need to step on it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodrow_Woodchuck For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (04-11-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos