Exclamation Any luck with Corn Gluten for weeds?

My backyard gets an awful amount of crabgrass every summer. The problem with crabgrass is that it grows so much and is wet that it means I am cutting my lawn more to keep it down and it can't be good for the lawnmower itself. You can kill it with baking soda once it's up but it also kills everything else. I bought a bag of corn gluten fertilizer and am going to put it down this week to see if it stops if from growing.

Apparently it's pet friendly. Thoughts?
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Be interesting to see if it smells like food to the pooches...good luck.

I tried it for several years but was bad about not getting it down early enough. Be interesting to see how you do with it.

Did the weed and feed out front but not in back where the dogs go. Figured I would be scooting my butt around the ground back there pulling by hand.

Crabgrass is the worst to get under control once it gets a hold of your lawn. I used to use a pesticide once a year, lightly and it would take care of them. That's all illegal now so I am trying a go at this.

I think you are right, from what I read it's all about getting it down early in the spring and they suggest a dose in the fall as well.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

You know I had a heck of a time with it when I bought my house. Really I found putting down the Scotts Fertillizer with the crab grass preventer really early, like I did it this year as soon as the snow melted, so almost a month ago. This really helps. Then in about mid may I seed the heck out of my lawn and keep it watered well. Then let your grass grow kind of long. Longer than your used too. This lets the grass crowd out the grabgrass and doesn't let it get sun so it can't grow. The first few years I also had to go out and spray almost every day with Ortho Weed B Gone. Just walk the yard and directly spray any grab grass that popped up. you want to kill it before it spreads seeds.

This took 3-4 years of doing this but I am finally grab grass free. I still maintain the regimen because my one neighbor has only crabgrass for a lawn. They cut it really super short. However I have managed to keep the crabgrass on their side. In fact some of my grass has been bleeding into thier lawn. I also reseeded in fall too to try to get more grass to fill in and crowd out any weeds come spring.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos