Thor is more patient than I

Our neighborhood is great and we're friends with everyone on the block. Weekend nights are usually spent around a firepit in someone's yard and the kids (6-10 of them between the ages of 4 and 10) get to stay up late playing. This was great for Thor's socialization, and he LOVES playing with the kids. But the crazy kid energy tends to amplify his 1-year-old-lab energy and he has a hard time listening when they are around. We've just used it as a training opportunity and mix up his 'free to play' time and his leashed, 'behave' time.

Anyways, we've also worked with the kids on how to interact with a crazy lab and they've been great. Last night they were all chasing each other around (they like to race on the grass and Thor plays along), when the kids decided to get Thor to do tricks. I hear a bunch of 'sit!' and 'shake!' and 'roll over!' (and my husband laughing) and I turn around to this sight. Poor Thor is sitting there utterly confused due to all of the commands being shrieked, but also in his 'behave' mode. Straight from 100% crazy to 100% focused. Usually when the kids get shrieky he goes nuts and I have to pull him away. I was so proud and had to snap this picture of him trying SO HARD to understand what they are asking of him (notice blurry tail, he loved it). I then stood behind the kids and gave his hand signals so he knew what to do.

Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

Dallas dawg (04-13-2015), Indigo (04-12-2015), kelsyg (04-12-2015)

That's pretty cute!

What a good boy! Kids and dogs, great combination.

Thor you are such a good boy!

Very cute. Those hand signals come in handy. I use them when the four year old next door commands Cassie to sit. Yesterday his line was "first rule Cassie! No licking Noah's face. That's rude." Too cute when labs and kids mix.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos