Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Very rough winter

Where to start... In December, I bred Roxy who had just turned 4yrs old to a nice choc boy. Both go back to Rosa's sire, Shooter who was an AmCanCH w/ a Senior Hunter and CD. I was very excited... Roxy got very big, and her body decided the pups needed to be born 4 days early on day 59. The first 7 were born smaller than I'd like, but alive. The last 4 were DOA. The next day, one of the small girls faded and died. Six healthy pups remained-- 2 girls and 4 boys.

All was going well, and Roxy was a wonderful new mom, very very attentive and proud of her babies. They were so fat, they could hardly roll onto their feet. On Friday evening at dusk (pups 1 wk old that night), she asked to be let out to potty, and apparently went to her favorite post whelp nesting spot under the hot tub deck. She came in and regurgitated her dinner in the whelping box, and I initially thought she was just being a silly mom because they will sometimes do that once pups are a little older. Then I noticed her gums looked pale. They were cold. Her rectal temp was normal though, so I was thrown off base. I kept thinking did something rupture internally but if so, her temp wouldn't be normal. I laid her down to nurse the pups, warmed up the puppy box that I had right there for emergency use, and called my vet. Vet thought internal bleeding as well I think, and sent me to the Emergency clinic who started to work on her, but could not save her. The best guess was that she'd been bit by a black widow or scorpion and went into anaphylactic shock. A necropsy confirmed. This was 9 wks ago, and I still have a hard time reliving that night.

For the next 2 wks, I bottle fed the pups-- every 2-3 hrs that first week. Thankfully Grandma Sonya, Great grandma Fuji, and Aunt Mata stepped in to help w/ the potty stimulation and cleaning. I sure learned a lot about people-- some very good, some not very good. My friends came to my side as they could to help w/ the puppies and just be there for me. Some prospective puppy buyers were unbelievably insensitive and selfish however!!!. They were so worried about whether or not they were getting a puppy. Puppy placement was the LAST thing on my mind at that point, holy cow... I had just lost Roxy!!! I had to tell several to basically take a hike. I still cannot believe the selfishness in this world!!! Thankfully I had not taken (and don't as a rule take) deposits prior to the pups hitting 7-10 days old.

In the end, I decided to run on 2 pups personally-- a girl and a boy. Three of the pups went to homes who already had pups from me, and one went to a vet and her family who had been on my wait list for several months (she was a great help w/ formula etc, advice in those early days/weeks after losing Roxy).

Anyhow, that's my depressing story. I hope Miss Pink (WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink) and Mr Red (WindyCanyon's Golden Russet) help to fill the void here in our family. I've not yet been able to update my website other than the litter diary as it's just too hard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_6226-jpg   -10980712_10205259555962891_8299496418839906343_n-jpg  
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Here is Ruby:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_6622-jpg   -img_6627-jpg  
    Hidden Content

And Russel:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_6606-jpg   -img_6603-jpg  
    Last edited by windycanyon; 04-12-2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Funny I just realized I had the wrong mugshot of Russel! This is the right one!
    Hidden Content

They're adorable! I hope they can fill a little of the void of losing Roxy. Rip sweet girl.

I remember when you wrote about losing Roxy. Such a tragic loss. I am really sorry

Ruby is a beauty.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Oh, how heartbreaking. I'm sitting here in tears for you. I hope the puppies bring you comfort in this terrible time.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

I missed the post about losing Roxy. I am so sorry.

The pretty keeper pups are good remembrances of her!

I don't remember the post about Roxy either. I'm so sorry, and sorry for the little puppy angels.

Real Retriever
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Roxy. I hope her pups turn out to be all you want- they sure are cute!

Senior Dog
    The puppies are adorable.

I'm so sorry to hear about Roxy...I'm another one who'd missed your post. What a sad ending to her short life...a life it always sounded like she thoroughly enjoyed, but still.

Sending you all good thoughts and compassion...I'd be devastated at this point.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos