Question Lab book recommendations

My friend with a new puppy (she is not new to dogs but semi-new to Labs) asked me for a recommendation for a "comprehensive Lab book". I suggested some of the requested reading on the Lab Club's website and she said they were out-dated. So, I said that they can't be outdated if they are about origin of the breed, characteristics, etc., so I asked her if she wanted a training book. She said no. She has all the training videos, magazines, and books in the world... I'm not sure what she is looking for. I suggested "Labradors for Dummies" and that wasn't it either. *sigh* I guess I didn't ask the right questions.

In an effort to help her out, I thought I'd bring the question here (it's as clear as mud as to what she wants, but maybe someone else gets it!) to see if anyone has suggestions I can throw at her. Thanks!

maybe not quite what you are looking for but I think these three are great - Culture Clash does have some step by step for some things but is more to help them understand dogs and how to communicate with them (ok it's not touchy feely like i describe it haha).

I find for training and understanding dogs you really don't need any "breed specific book" as the best authors on the topic, the most educated, are not writing books for breeds, they are writing about dogs.

The Puppy Primer: Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D., Brenda Scidmore: 9781891767135: Amazon.com: Books

Culture Clash: Jean Donaldson: 9781617811128: Amazon.com: Books

The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs: Patricia B. McConnell: 9780345446787: Amazon.com: Books

Now, if she wants a book about LABS and their history that's another story. Or about hunting and that kind of training. But for anything training/understanding dogs I find the general books MUCH MUCH better.

I used the same book Berna did. It was a great book that takes you from selecting the right pup right through training.

How about a subscription to Labrador Quarterly?

One that I can't recommend enough is The Working Retriever by Tom Quinn. Written originally in the 70's. He is a fabulous wild-life artist and the book is both beautiful and educational. It's sort of a history and homage to the three main retriever breeds, but (obviously) heavy on Labrador lore. It discusses training concepts, provides very fascinating information on the history of the breeds and about retriever trials.

Look into it. It's a "Coffee Table" book, but one you'll want to read over and over.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (04-13-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos