treadmill for dogs

I just bought a used treadmill for myself but I also want to use it for Benelli on those days I can't get him out to run. Like when its raining or in the winter when its cold and icy.

Benelli has different energy than Gauge if I miss a day or two of getting Gauge out he's perfectly content lounging in bed or on the couch.

Benelli is very high energy. He hardly ever settles unless I finally sit down he will then settle. He's better now that I can get him out now that the weather is nicer. Every night after work I throw the ball for two hours and he will come in and finally plop down.

Anyway is there a trick on introducing them to the treadmill? I'm assuming you want to start them out slow then gradually build up speed. Any thoughts suggestions?

There are a number of drawbacks to using a human treadmill. Read these and see if any fit:

Human Treadmills versus Dog Treadmills – Why You Should Choose the Latter for Your Dog - Rockys Retreat - Orlando FL

https://www.jogadog.com/faqs.html

THhere are a number of sites that show you how to introduce the dog to a treadmill, including youtube videos.
    Here's a helpful one:
    Treadmill Training for the Canine in Your Life
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

I taught Hemi simply by luring with a treat.

Treat to nose lead him to standing on the treadmill.

Turn the treadmill on slowly still holding treat to let him nibble slowly increase speed. Provide more treats as needed. It was that simple.

We only do this on the nasty winter months but rarely, he normally does Pilates and stuff with me for about an hour which is good enough to wear him out.

Mocha used to get on the treadmill. We lured him with a treat on a very low speed. He started off with 2 feet, then 3 feet, then all 4 feet. Then we upped the speed a little. It's fun for him and we really didn't use it for exercise. He just saw it as a way to get more treats and it was fun. He jumped off when he was tired (or there were no more treats in the cup holder). Now, we have moved and the treadmill is downstairs and Mocha won't go down the steps. Our treadmill has gotten quite lonely

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos