Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Homeless and their dogs

I am always torn when I see homeless people with dogs (big homeless population here). You just don't know their stories...

It's usually pitbulls, which doesn't make things easier for various reasons, but today I saw a black Lab puppy that looked purebred, and talk about tugging at your heart strings. I thought for a second to stop and talk to the guy and possibly offer to buy it off of him. Because he looked so purebred, I am now wondering how he got his hands on him, actually... I got my lunch and took a different route back to the office. I've been thinking about it since... I feel awful for not doing it but on the other hand, I know I can't save them all. I would have worked with a rescue to re-home him. I'm actually thinking about going back down there to see if he is still around and if he is maybe it's a sign?

UGH!

I am the big meanie in our house and don't offer $$$. The panhandlers have their own corners... I know that the woman with the battered suitcase is always going to be near the entrance to the grocery store. The guy with a walker is going to be near the entrance to Walmart... I cannot understand how these people have not heard about the available social services in town. Maybe if they were new to the area, but come-on... some of these folks are regular fixtures.

BUT, I get what you mean about the dogs. Especially if the dog looks like one I would love. (And have you ever noticed their dogs are pretty darned calm and walk on lead really nicely!) I think I'd probably have a cup or two of quality kibble in the car to give the person. Couldn't use it for beer and it might benefit the dog.

Am I being heartless? I do have a heart, I just don't want to enable.

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    I am the big meanie in our house and don't offer $$$. The panhandlers have their own corners... I know that the woman with the battered suitcase is always going to be near the entrance to the grocery store. The guy with a walker is going to be near the entrance to Walmart... I cannot understand how these people have not heard about the available social services in town. Maybe if they were new to the area, but come-on... some of these folks are regular fixtures.

BUT, I get what you mean about the dogs. Especially if the dog looks like one I would love. (And have you ever noticed their dogs are pretty darned calm and walk on lead really nicely!) I think I'd probably have a cup or two of quality kibble in the car to give the person. Couldn't use it for beer and it might benefit the dog.

Am I being heartless? I do have a heart, I just don't want to enable.
    I don't 100% agree with you on the homeless deal, but that's a whole other thread that belongs elsewhere... I don't give money to homeless either (I do, however, volunteer at the food bank, meals on wheels, etc., through work) but I would have given the guy an offer he couldn't refuse for the puppy.

I see these types of people in downtown Portland. Some of the people I question how they treat their dogs. Some I believe would be offended by offering to buy their dog. I have stopped to talk to some of them to find out their story. I know one person in particular that would always feed his dog first before he fed himself. This guy probably would not survive the streets without his dog. It is the only thing that keeps him going. I wouldn't judge a book by its cover...

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChoppersDad For This Useful Post:

AlexS (04-18-2015), Berna (04-18-2015), Blackboy98 (04-18-2015), charliebbarkin (04-18-2015), Jeff (04-20-2015), Sue (04-18-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppersDad View Post
    I see these types of people in downtown Portland. Some of the people I question how they treat their dogs. Some I believe would be offended by offering to buy their dog. I have stopped to talk to some of them to find out their story. I know one person in particular that would always feed his dog first before he fed himself. This guy probably would not survive the streets without his dog. It is the only thing that keeps him going. I wouldn't judge a book by its cover...
    I completely agree. That said, I'd still rather see a puppy in a good home versus on the streets. And I do regret not at least stopping to talk to him, feeling out the situation. I also do wonder how he got his hands on the pup, actually, but he could have been a mix. Still too young to tell.

Some of these dogs are very well trained and live a great life considering the circumstances. They get to hang out with their owners 24/7. Their owners hang out by the waterfront park everyday and they have a blast. I am quite sure there are times it is a living hell, but I'm am quite impressed how some of these dogs handle themselves with people and other dogs running around all over the place. Some of the dogs are pretty street smart. I used to park in a parking lot under the bridge down by the Willamette River when I went to work. I would see people sleeping there every morning on my way into the office. I would see a dog curled up next to his owner keeping each other warm while they were sleeping. I thought to myself, under the circumstances that is pretty cool. I could tell they counted on each other to survive. I would leave whomever I thought deserved a little help some money and mention to them "Make sure your dog gets fed this morning" and be on my way. I generally get a response that makes me happy I went out of my way to help.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChoppersDad For This Useful Post:

AlexS (04-18-2015), charliebbarkin (04-18-2015), Charlotte K. (04-18-2015), Maxx&Emma (04-18-2015), Sue (04-18-2015), xracer4844 (04-19-2015)

One practical reason for a homeless person to keep a dog (and you see a lot of bully breeds in their care) is to protect them from other homeless people. I get that. Another issue is that shelters don't let the dogs in. (And if I were going to stay overnight in a homeless shelter... I'd want a dog at my side.)

So yeah... I think I'd give the dog some help. And probably in the process would be giving the panhandler(*) some practical help as well.

* I don't automatically use the term "homeless". I am sure many of them are just that. But I know the regulars I around where I live and they actually do have roofs over their heads.

Senior Dog
    "Homeless" people are not always what they appear to be. There are many homeless people that actually take shifts standing on street corners holding a sign.

They will stand there for a few hours, then they walk away and another person shows up and stands in the exact same spot, holding a sign.

I also think that maybe they use "puppies" as a prop to make people feel more sorry for them...which is especially awful for the poor puppy!

I could not stand to see a beautiful Lab puppy standing on the corner with a homeless person either...I could not walk away.

It is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppersDad View Post
    Some of these dogs are very well trained and live a great life considering the circumstances. They get to hang out with their owners 24/7. Their owners hang out by the waterfront park everyday and they have a blast. I am quite sure there are times it is a living hell, but I'm am quite impressed how some of these dogs handle themselves with people and other dogs running around all over the place. Some of the dogs are pretty street smart. I used to park in a parking lot under the bridge down by the Willamette River when I went to work. I would see people sleeping there every morning on my way into the office. I would see a dog curled up next to his owner keeping each other warm while they were sleeping. I thought to myself, under the circumstances that is pretty cool. I could tell they counted on each other to survive. I would leave whomever I thought deserved a little help some money and mention to them "Make sure your dog gets fed this morning" and be on my way. I generally get a response that makes me happy I went out of my way to help.
    Even under the best circumstances, the streets are not a place for a Lab puppy. Any puppy, really, but clearly I have a soft spot for Labs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (04-17-2015)

Homeless population is huge here too. I met a nice lady about a year ago who hangs around a Burger King by my work. She has a small little mixed dog that is the sweetest little guy. I offered her a decent amount of money for this dog and she refused. She said he is all she has. She never begs for money, she only asks for little burgers or dog food. Its hard to walk away and not feel heartbroken but i got a feeling that dog is happier and more loved than alot of dogs

It wouldnt hurt to go back and see if they are still there, i would and i would ask for the puppy too, especially a lab puppy

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (04-17-2015), Sue (04-18-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos