Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar

Living with Dog that has severe separation anxiety...any thoughts and input appreciated.

So we have taken in my girlfriends parents lab for the next week. He has severe separation anxiety. They came last night to drop him off, we put both of the dogs outside, parents left, and then we let the dogs in. We let him look around for them, when he realized they left, he laid by the front door whining. We called him over to us and to come lay on the couch with us and our boy. He came and laid down, but kept the front door in view. He began panting heavily and just could not settle. A few hours later, we went to bed. He slept for maybe an hour that night. He just sat with his ears perked up listening in case someone came home, panting. A car drove by to a nearby house, slammed the doors, locked the car, (horn honked) and he immediately ran downstairs at 100000000 miles per hour, whining, and waiting at the front door. Finally he settled at around 530 in the morning and waiting until I got up. He calmed down and was better this morning. He just followed me around and seemed to be fine.

Before I left for work, I put everything away. Nothing on the counters, nothing left out, hid all the remotes and things etc. He has been known to swallow dish towels and toilette paper when he's left alone. I made sure all the shoes were away, all the doors were closed. I put the cat in the basement, and shut the door. I left him and my boy on the couch and left for work. My girlfriends granddad is going to our home to check up on him and make sure he's fine.

I have known this dog for years. We get along great, we've traveled together and have been on many adventures but he's always been fine because his "mom" isn't far. Does anyone have any advice, tips, tricks, to help him with this? I'm looking for any advice . I'm sure over the next couple of days he will relax...like I said this morning was a lot better.

I would not worry about it if it's already gotten better. I've fostered a lot of Labs and also dog-sat for friends. The first 24-48 hours is really rough. And, sometimes they act like they've lived there forever after just an hour of sniffing around. Exercise, routine, don't baby him or make a big deal of his anxiety. Often they will drink more with the panting and pacing, so will need to go out more, may be prone to accidents. There's a chance of diarrhea with the nerves, so I'd nix any treats that might make it worse. Also, be careful of open doors, fence climbing, stuff like that. Sometimes they try to take off to find their people.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (04-20-2015)

My dog, Jake, was like that. Staring out any window or door, waiting for me to come back and whining whining whining. He had a hard time settling down the first few days, even at my sister's house, when we went on vacation. By the time we would come home (7-10d), he would be following her around the house.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (04-20-2015)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    I would not worry about it if it's already gotten better. I've fostered a lot of Labs and also dog-sat for friends. The first 24-48 hours is really rough. And, sometimes they act like they've lived there forever after just an hour of sniffing around. Exercise, routine, don't baby him or make a big deal of his anxiety. Often they will drink more with the panting and pacing, so will need to go out more, may be prone to accidents. There's a chance of diarrhea with the nerves, so I'd nix any treats that might make it worse. Also, be careful of open doors, fence climbing, stuff like that. Sometimes they try to take off to find their people.
    THANKS LABRADORKS I have kept his water bowl full, and I haven't put him outside without going with him. I was worried that there would be diarrhea for sure but luckily this morning he was fine. When he goes tonight, I will check again.

I'm sure you have gone through this many times...

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos