Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dogs running loose agressive towards walkers

As relatively new residents (moved from NJ to FL), I can't believe the number of dogs that are allowed the run of the neighborhood. On at least three occasions, Duke has been attacked by different dogs. Two out of the three are smaller, chihuahua mixes. The other was an airdale. The owner was sitting in his yard and claims the dog isn't usually loose, but the grandchildren must have let him loose. The owner of one of the smaller dogs was right in the yard and did come right out and get his after it had already bit Duke. Then he takes the dog in the yard and I didn't see what he did, but the dog screamed. The other small one stopped before getting upon us when I threatened him with my nordic walking sticks.
    Our yard is fenced and Duke NEVER goes out of the yard unless leashed.
    We've come to know where the dogs live that give us problems and avoid walking on those streets. Don't believe there's much else to do in these situations. Duke so enjoys these walks, so staying home isn't going to happen.
    Anyone else run into situations like this? What was your solution?

I live in the country and I carry my gun, mace and a stun stick. I will protect my dogs and myself at all costs. I know it sounds like I am paranoid but there are many predators in this area, animal and human.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Duke's Ma (04-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I live in the country and I carry my gun, mace and a stun stick. I will protect my dogs and myself at all costs. I know it sounds like I am paranoid but there are many predators in this area, animal and human.
    Make sure you don't pull out your gun when you meant to pull out your stun stick! Could land you in jail...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppersDad For This Useful Post:

Duke's Ma (04-22-2015)

Oban was attacked twice, dogs his size and bigger. Both times the OH was walking Oban on leash and the off leash dogs nailed him. But one of the same dogs came out aggressively to us when I was walking and I was able to persuade it to back down just by yelling at it GO HOME and standing my ground. It's hard for me because Oban is perfectly willing to stand up for himself so it was hard for me to get in front of my own dog. However it did work. It's a wonder that other dog has not been hit on the road, it happened again. Once I phoned the OH to come pick us up so I would not have to walk by one of them on my way home too. I only meet it about once a year.

Our trainer said to do this, yell GO HOME at the other dog. It's not so much the dog knows what you are saying as your tone of voice and how you assert yourself. And if the dog is always loose chance are it does know those words mean, other people probably say them to it as well.

If the dogs are small and fast and sneaky then I don't know, probably you wouldn't have a chance to yell at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke's Ma View Post
    As relatively new residents (moved from NJ to FL), I can't believe the number of dogs that are allowed the run of the neighborhood. On at least three occasions, Duke has been attacked by different dogs. Two out of the three are smaller, chihuahua mixes. The other was an airdale. The owner was sitting in his yard and claims the dog isn't usually loose, but the grandchildren must have let him loose. The owner of one of the smaller dogs was right in the yard and did come right out and get his after it had already bit Duke. Then he takes the dog in the yard and I didn't see what he did, but the dog screamed. The other small one stopped before getting upon us when I threatened him with my nordic walking sticks.
    Our yard is fenced and Duke NEVER goes out of the yard unless leashed.
    We've come to know where the dogs live that give us problems and avoid walking on those streets. Don't believe there's much else to do in these situations. Duke so enjoys these walks, so staying home isn't going to happen.
    Anyone else run into situations like this? What was your solution?
    I would just avoid those places. All the dogs that are ever loose in our neighborhood in yards are never a problem. We have a fenced in yard, but Gus comes out with me when I work in the front yard, but he ignores people that walk by and stays in our yard.

It's sad that you have to avoid streets in your own neighborhood because people are not responsible dog owners.

Last summer, we had problems with the neighbors dog coming into our yard. I think there are 3 dogs in a pen 24/7 and when the little one gets out - ZOOM! After a couple of times, I really think he just wants to play with Mocha and doesn't know how. But the rant on how our neighbors treat their animals is for another post.

Keep you and your dogs safe. Also find out what the laws are in your area and how you can protect yourself legally and what actions you can take if your or your dogs are hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppersDad View Post
    Make sure you don't pull out your gun when you meant to pull out your stun stick! Could land you in jail...
    Very true! I am very careful and my gun is my absolute last resort.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    My hubby does carry his gun with him. I think I might get a new mace though. The one I have is probably about 15 years old, lol. What is a stun stick?

Luckily we rarely have loose dogs in the neighborhood. There is a chow that wanders around occasionally and we stay clear. It doesn't seem to want to approach but I'm not taking any chances.

I'm concerned that your dog got bit even if it was by a small dog.

The only regular loose animal around here, during the summer, is Dog, a large turtle who gets walked by his owner on a regular basis. Don't think he is much of a chase risk, LOL.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (04-23-2015)

Luckily (or unlucky for the dogs...) we just have a bunch of dogs that live in the backyards and bark all the time. I did have one instance when I was walking my dog and this HUGE boxer ran down the driveway (I saw it and was in the street to try and avoid it) and it attacked my dog. The whole family was in the front and just watched the situation. The only ones to do something were the young kids! They rushed down and pulled their boxer off and apologized. The adults just stood there and watched. I was so pissed I couldn't even speak (which was probably for the best).
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos