Roofing? Eaves? Help!!

So this year, we bit the bullet and bought a new furnace, which was great, because it was a cold winter.

We kept the house warmer, which had an unfortunate side effect - ice dams.

So, our cheap plastic eaves that have been on the house since we bought it 2 years ago are warped and leaky, they need to be replaced. Our roof is also kind of wavy in spots, and I'd love a new one.

Does anyone have any experience with having their eaves replaced professionally, so you get seamless ones? Any idea what kind of cost I'd be looking at?

I'd also love to get a metal roof, because from what I've read it can be put over the existing shingles, and with the extra insulation, we shouldn't have the ice dam issues.

Any insights from you home repair experts?
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Yes, the professional Eavestrough installers make it to length right on site - theres a big roll of flat aluminum in their truck, and it goes thru a mold or press, shaping into the eavestrough profile you've picked, and they make it to the right length, so the only joints are at corners (or if they have to slope it both ways away from the centre of the run). I think when friends had their whole house done last year it was somewhere around $5,000, a large house with lots of roof area so they had to go oversized for the eavestrough and downspouts.

But you should have that done after you've done what ever you want with the roof itself. Is the roof structurally sound? thats the 1st consideration. if you're gettting Ice dams theres likely not enough insulation in your attic, or enough ventilation in the attic so that the outside roof is getting warm and then cold. does your current roof have like 4 or 5 of those square vents near the ridgeline, and do you have vented soffits under your eaves? Thats often a problem that causes the ice dams. I'm not sure about adding the wooden strips that the metal roof parts attach to overtop of lots of layers of shingles, which sounds like you might have if the roof is looking kinda "wavey". I and a friend and his neighbour (a contractor) did his metal roof - we went over the existing shingles, he had 2 layers, and had been getting ice dams on the lower-sloped roof. After the metal roof went on, they didn't have the ice dam problem anymore.

We don't have an attic, the half storey upper level is our bedroom, so that could be part of the problem.

Ugh, really don't want to spent thousands and I think the roof is structurally sound was hoping for like$500 for the eaves and a metal roof in a couple of years. Wishful thinking I guess
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

We reroofed ourselves a couple of years ago. I certainly don't recommend that!

You might have an air flow problem. There needs to be some space between the ceiling of your bedroom and the roof with insulation and airflow. Also, the roof needs to be able to breath either with a ridge vent to vents on the side of the house.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

yup, what Fran said. with cathedral ceilings, its hard to get the airflow proper, let alone the correct "hot" and "cold" areas of the roof.
    I think when I helped the friends with their metal roof, that the materials alone were about $5,000, never mind our labour and the cost of their contractor neighbour. The main part of their house was cathedral as well, with no insulation, but the metal roof really helped-airflow under the roof allowed the new metal roof to stay colder in the winter, so it wasn't getting the freeze-thaw cycles like their shingled roof did.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos