Thread: puppy food

puppy food

packer is 4months old 35 lbs ,getting big.I went to the vet the other day and she said that as soon as he finishes whats left of his puppy food I should switch him to adult food.This is my 3rd lab in 25 years ,this is the 1st one she has made this suggestion to.My friend has a yellow lab that is now about 2 years old,his vet told him the same thing at 4 months and his dog turned obese,I am 6'4 tall and 340lbs and the dogs arms were bigger then mine.I signed my pup for training today at petco,told the trainer(not that shes an authority)and she said what the lable on the dogfood said,and just to verify I called the breeder and he as well said at least 9 months on puppy food,as well as my wife who said our other 2 were on puppy food for a year,I don't want to damage or deprive my dog of any needed nutrients,he looks healthy right now -fullsizerender-11-jpg
    Packer

If your puppy is from a reputable breeder their experience with their lines is invaluable. But - there is nothing wrong with switching to an adult or ALS food between 4-5 months. Puppy food is higher in calories than many adult foods so I don't quite get what you mean by that. If your friends Lab is overweight it is the result of over feeding/treating and not enough exercise, not the type of food fed.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

barry581 (04-26-2015)

my breeder is very reputable ,so I'm going to follow his instructions,he said to keep him on the puppy food til 9 months,my last 2 labs were on puppy food to about that time so thanks
    Packer

Never hurts to listen to breeders... I however, did my own research and did not like the food mine pushed (Royal Canin) and switched over (almost cold turkey from what they gave me to what I decided on) to Fromm Grain free 4 star (All ages- made it so much easier, a much better food and he is now a beautiful shiny coated thick boned 78 lb 17 month old big black baby!!!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos