Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    House Broken

hip dysplasia or not, running normally or not

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have a lab puppy girl at 5-month old. I always worry that she will get hip dysplasia someday because we do not have the OFA certificates of her parents’ hips. I heard that the dogs with hip dysplasia would run like bunny hops. I am not quite sure about the difference between bunny hops and normal dog running. And my puppy seems like hopping. She does feel tired after long-time running but she never hesitated to run forever... So I shot a video of her running and hope you can check to see if her running was normal. The video is a bit long (~56 seconds) so please be patient. I really appreciate any thoughts.

MOV 6025 MOV - YouTube

My brother had a yellow lab named Bailey. His lab had hip dysplasia. Unfortunately, Bailey bunny hopped like that as a pup. If your pup is favoring a hind leg by putting weight on her two back paws at the same time, that could be an indication there is a problem with her hips. I would recommend that you get an initial examination from a veterinarian to determine for sure whether or not your pup has early stages of hip dysplasia. You need to address this issue ASAP. Good luck. Sending good thoughts your way. I hope I am way off base.

Here is a good video by Dr. Anthony Cambridge on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHCIT87jY0M

Gosh. I don't see anything unusual. She looks like a happy puppy joyfully running around! What does your vet say?
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (04-28-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    Gosh. I don't see anything unusual. She looks like a happy puppy joyfully running around! What does your vet say?
    Thank you. Your words relieved my worry a bit. My vet have not done any check for hip dysplasia. Only normal routine check so far. So I really do not know.
    Last edited by greagre; 04-27-2015 at 08:52 PM.

I'm not sure I see any more bunny hopping than any crazy pup does when first getting up some speed. I see your pup running normally after the bunny hops. Myself, I've seen my dogs do just what your video shows when they are playing and starting to run. Is there an experienced dog person friend who could observe your pup in real life and comment? But you know the only way to put your mind at ease is to visit your Vet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (04-28-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppersDad View Post
    My brother had a yellow lab named Bailey. His lab had hip dysplasia. Unfortunately, Bailey bunny hopped like that as a pup. If your pup is favoring a hind leg by putting weight on her two back paws at the same time, that could be an indication there is a problem with her hips. I would recommend that you get an initial examination from a veterinarian to determine for sure whether or not your pup has early stages of hip dysplasia. You need to address this issue ASAP. Good luck. Sending good thoughts your way. I hope I am way off base.

Here is a good video by Dr. Anthony Cambridge on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHCIT87jY0M
    Thanks a lot for the information!

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I'm not sure I see any more bunny hopping than any crazy pup does when first getting up some speed. I see your pup running normally after the bunny hops. Myself, I've seen my dogs do just what your video shows when they are playing and starting to run. Is there an experienced dog person friend who could observe your pup in real life and comment? But you know the only way to put your mind at ease is to visit your Vet.
    Thank you! Waiting for more comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I would tend to agree, with the caveat that I watched on a small screen, on my phone. In reality, even OFA excellent parents or PennHipped parents can produce a few dysplastic offspring, although the chances increase a lot if the parents have bad hips.

Let Pup grow through teething, and do not overfeed, over exercise, or deprive of this kind of exercise. Pups go through all kinds of awkward stages. If there is lameness, address it then. Love this silly, loosey goosey stage. They grow up fast.
    Last edited by Charlotte K.; 04-28-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Typo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (04-27-2015)

To me it looks like a crazy puppy playing. Like others have said.

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    To me it looks like a crazy puppy playing. Like others have said.
    Thank you so much! Your chocolate pup jumped like a bird!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos