escalating anxiety

As Ruby gets older the more and more things trigger anxiety.It is so disheartening to see her suffer. It used to be the smoke detector, a watch beep/chime, fireworks, gunshots, and alarm type noises on the tv. Now it seems to be the slightest noise throws her like the thermostat clicking on, the duct work settling after its been running, losing power, and sometimes I have no idea what she hears. I am at a loss as to what to do in these situations. When this happens she just wants to exit the house (except when its fireworks or gunshots). Now that the weather is getting nicer I don’t mind her being out, but sometimes it’s an effort to get her back in and have her stay in. I try to have her go into the bedroom (a more secluded area), or go into her crate (we don’t confine, their crates have open door policies), but she doesn’t remain there for any length of time.
    Any suggestions, or is this something we have to accept?

Some questions that might help us help you:

What's her background?

Where did you get her and at what age?

Have you spoken to a vet, trainer, or behaviorist? If so, what have you tried?

Senior Dog
    I would start with a discussion with her vet, as there could be several things going on. The first thing that occurs to me is perhaps she is starting to lose her vision, and that is making her more nervous about sounds, as she might not be able to see what is making them as clearly. Another possibility is the beginnings of canine dementia, which can be treated with medicine and/or supplements (cholodin is a B-vitamin supplement thought to be very useful in those cases). Those are just two possibilities though - it could be something else entirely, so as I said, I would start with a check-up at the vet to see if there is anything physical causing her distress.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Ruby is 12.5 yo, spayed female.
    We have had her since she was 4 months old. She had been in 4 other houses before she came to us. The stories we were told were along the lines of... hubby got puppy without wifes permission and then returned her, then the next family wasn't ready for a puppy then returned her, etc etc.
    We can only speculate what she experienced in those homes... We know something happened with a belt.
    She was from a home breeder.

I know the aniexty from the "beeping" noise stems from when we had invisible fence installed and the training involved with it.
    If not familiar with the process, there is an audible "beep" as the approach the boundry line, then if they continue to proceed closer it shocks them.
    She was shocked once, so she must associate the beep with a shock. Needless to say, after that experience we discontinued its use.

Her physical exam was in December. We were told she has "old eyes" meaning they were cloudy. She is arthritic and does have some neurological slowness, probably stemming from disc disease.

I haven't reached out to our vets (primary & alternative) yet. I was waiting to see what feedback I got here.
    For fireworks & thunderstorms, we were told about the pheremone collars and sprays, but they didn't seem to have a noticable impact.

At 12.5 yo I just want to make her comfortable, and to feel safe if she needs to be. This is our first senior, and just wondering if this course is normal or not.
    I like researching things, but I struggle to read up on the cognitive disorders, dementia, alzheimers, etc. Its just so upsetting to me.

Getting old is tough. What about her ears/hearing? Along with a little bit of cloudiness in her eyes, a hearing defect could elicit reactions. If her hearing is going she may be reacting to "feeling" the sounds rather than truly hearing them or hearing and comprehending them properly.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

It sounds like for her it is stemming from old age. She sounds very sensitive as well. I know someone who uses acupuncture for her dog's anxiety. She said that pressure points work as well. I have heard that people also have good luck with thunder coats. I would go back to the vet, get her a good check-up, talk to him about options, and also, once you have some information in your hands, talk to your alternative vet. Dealing with old dogs can be tough, for sure.

One time, when we were standing around talking to our pet sitter she brought up the Thunder Shirt. She thought it was a bunch of hooey, UNITL she had a client that used one and was absolutely amazed at how it helped their dog's anxiety. She's had a few clients now that uses them and she says they work. In addition to the other things mentioned, it may be worth a try.

I would also wonder how declining vision and hearing might be prompting this. Our girl startled easily when she went quite deaf. We were careful to not sneak up on her and to tread heavily so she could feel us coming. We have not had visual decline in any of ours but I think taking care to tromp on the floor and approach your girl from a direction she is already looking towards might help.

Wonder too how some cognitive dsyfunction might be impacting her. No ideas for that, it was very sad for a neighbour but one thing he did find was it camouflaged some physical health concerns, in his dog's case a badly cracked tooth. A new Vet caught that for him but did not improve the lack of appetite too much.

Her hearing is typical lab hearing!!
    She hears words like "cookie" "dinner" and the dinner bowls clanging together, etc.
    But doesn't hear her name when she's hot on the trail, or out gallivanting around.
    Her sight issues are only noticeable if she wants to enter a dark room, there is an apprehension in doing so until I turn on a light.

The changes have been gradual, not like a traumatic event occurred. I was curious if age does bring sensitivity.
    I'm not opposed to the Thundershirt, it just seems like in her scenario she would have to wear it all the time since I can't predict when or what she would hear to trigger and episode.
    She sees the Alternative Vet (who also practices as a regular vet) for chiro and acupuncture services next week, so I will definitely discuss it then.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos