who would have thought

When I first joined this board I joined BC my husband went out and brought home a lab puppy tho we did discuss getting one I wanted one from a good breeder and was in the process of reasearching. My husband not wanting to wait got one from a byb. Not the worse of byb he did breed for himself and hasn't had a litter since Gauges and keeps in touch but no clearances and he doesn't show in venues etc ect so a byb non the less.

I was so upset with him, then I was stuck with this puppy to care for to train and do everything with BC my husband worked nights and slept during the day. Many nights I cried. Satan puppy, but I knew it wasn't the pups fault and spent a lot of time when not crying or ripping my hair out training him.

Who would have thought looking back he would be the best dog I ever had. I just love him to pieces and now I can't imagine life without him.

I can't believe he will be 3 next month.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

ARTC (04-28-2015), barry581 (04-28-2015), Indigo (04-28-2015), Labradorks (04-28-2015), Meeps83 (04-28-2015)

All the work payed off. I have to thank you for posting this.

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    That's a great story. I raised several labs in the last 25 years, all have been so wonderful despite the rough puppy stage. The first 4 from BYB, then the internet and places like this educated me and Gibson came from a good breeder. I've never had a dog with chronic health problems or hip dyplagia, all lived actively into old age. I wouldn't change a thing, they are each so special. I try to educate others now when I hear someone is looking for a puppy.

He knew he had to be extra special after his rough start.

Love and dedication to helping the pup succeed is so totally worth the work. Lovely post.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

We both decided we were going to get a puppy and we were ready! Ha! Anyone who has never had a lab puppy (or any puppy in 15 years) can never really be ready. The land shark phase about did me in! I was ready for the house training and the chewing. But not chewing on me! I was always bleeding. There were times I would cry because I knew I would never be able to cuddle and play with my puppy. So glad Sparky found the board and I learned so much. A few weeks ago, I was laying on the floor with Mocha, he started nibbling on my hand and I said in a conversational voice "No, Mocha, we just going to lay here". And he put his head on my arm. He'll be 2 in July. I love my dog!

Sometimes it's funny how things work out!!!!

After I lost my little Annie after 15 yrs I swore I would never rescue another.....five months later Bailey walked into our lives. Not only did he step on my last nerve but he gave a little twist too always with a big grin on his goofy face. There were times I didn't think HE would survive, like you he was just the best boy ever considering all we had to go through with the training.

To tell you the truth I miss those days but so very thankful for the memories although they are way more funny now then back when he was a baby.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos