Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

flaming dog poop. seriously.

SOOOOOOOOOO... last week we did the ritual picking up of poop after a long winter. i put it all in a big ole black heavy duty trash bag and set it near our fence. We meant to throw it away with last week's trash but totally forgot.
    then yesterday i get this picture from my husband.

-download_20150429_105830-1-jpg

not sure if you can tell, but basically the poop in the bag, starved of oxygen, spontaneously combusted. it scorched our fence and the leaves around the bag in about a 5 foot radius. When Eric and I moved the bag the leaves were still smoldering.
    holy. crap.
    luckily the fence is somewhat far from the house, but when i look at how far the fire went to the leaves around it, it's not COMPLETELY impossible to imagine the fire making it's way to our house. with our pups/kitties inside. which makes me want to cry/throw up.

so.... don't be like us, i guess. if you can't pick up the poop all winter because you're buried in 10' of snow, make sure when you DO pick it up you get rid of it immediately. and i guess don't put it in a plastic bag and seal it. although... isn't that what we all do with poopy bags? maybe it just needs to be a lot of poop?

AHHHHHHHHH this was crazy!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krysten For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (04-30-2015)

This is just crazy! That's some pretty powerful poop. I remember once my Stepmom was doing laundry and it caught on fire in the dryer. She was washing towels from their restaurant and was pretty heavy handed on the bleach. Wash in hot, dry in hot. When she took out the towels, they were smoldering! Being the wise woman she is, she hired a towel service after that

So glad nothing was damaged.

Omg, that is crazy! I did not know that could even happen!

House Broken
    me neither!!!!

Like a compost pile...
    Scary!
    Hidden Content Theo 8/14/14

Senior Dog
    OMG....what are you feeding those dogs???

I had no idea poop would combust. We toss our little bags into a lined/lidded 5-gallon bucket and toss that when it's full. It never dawned on me that it could possibly be a problem...probably more so in the Summertime. At least the bucket is white so it wouldn't be intensifying the sunlight, but.....

This happens to the muck pile with the horses in the summer sometimes - poop gets really hot!! Glad there wasn't much damage.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

WOW, some powerful poop! I use grocery store bags and when finished scooping, tie the top but not tight. I've noticed that sometimes the bags seemed pretty warm thus I let them "breath" a little. They then go into the trash can.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Wow. Just wow.

Glad everything is okay and there wasn't too much damage.

Scary.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

I don't understand how it would ignite if it was "starved of oxygen." Wouldn't poop ignite because it fermented? How does dried out old winter poop ferment? Oh wait, there were leaves in with. They must have been wet? And they were loose enough there was oxygen available?

Spontaneous combustion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still, in one week? Wow.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos