Thread: Bruce Swimming

Bruce Swimming

I've been taking Bruce to the local dog park the past 3 Mondays, and there is a fishing pond right there too. I go early, and we have had the place to ourselves.

Week 1, Bruce ran into the water until it was over his head, came back out, and wouldn't go back in over his shoulders.

Week 2, he would go in and splash his front paws, but kept trying to put his feet on the bottom. No real swimming.

Week 3, first couple attempts similar to week 2. Then this.

Then this! He's a little shaky going out, but I think it was hard for him to see the stick, once he had it......

Normally, I never, ever use sticks for retrieving, but I lost a bumper last week as he wouldn't swim to it, so that will likely be the last stick I ever throw.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Bamps (04-30-2015), ChoppersDad (04-29-2015), Dallas dawg (05-02-2015), Jollymolly (05-01-2015), Scoutpout (04-30-2015)

Nice, very nice! Bruce did awesome! Soon, you will not be able to keep him out of the water. He really smoothed out his swimming in that 2nd clip. How old is Bruce now? He is looking great.

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    Way to get out there Bruce!!

He's a natural! Reminds me of Bacon when he was young!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

You've discovered a whole new world Bruce! Gonna be a fun summer.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppersDad View Post
    Nice, very nice! Bruce did awesome! Soon, you will not be able to keep him out of the water. He really smoothed out his swimming in that 2nd clip. How old is Bruce now? He is looking great.
    He's just over 13 months old. I've been working on his retrieving work, and he has good days and bad. He still gets distracted pretty easy, even though he is very obedient. He likes retrieving, but he doesn't LOVE retrieving. I think it will take a while for it to really click.

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    He's just over 13 months old. I've been working on his retrieving work, and he has good days and bad. He still gets distracted pretty easy, even though he is very obedient. He likes retrieving, but he doesn't LOVE retrieving. I think it will take a while for it to really click.
    I hear you. I'm training Chopper to retrieve as well. It is a long tedious process. Throw a bumper for a retrieve on a flat lawn and Chopper is easily distracted on the retrieve. Eating a clump of grass could distract him. What blows my mind is the following: Throw a bumper down a steep hill into thick woods or in the water and he loves retrieving. Nothing will distract him on difficult retrieves and he will do it until he drops. I do not get it...

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos