What would you do?

Have you ever watched that show "What Would You Do?" I used to think I would be the one to say or do something in a bad situation and then I was on the receiving end.

We went out to eat. Asked for the check and my husband handed me his wallet then got up to go to the restroom. We were seated in a kind of side hallway type room so my view was the back wall or slightly to my left the guy at the table across from us. That guy had two teenage girls with him.

We usually tip in cash so I went through my purse first but didn't have the right change so I picked up my husband's wallet, glance up and this guy is watching me. He looks at the wallet then at my face and I'm thinking that he's just kind of creepy. I went through my husband's wallet and it turns out that we're low on cash so I pull out his credit card and put it down for payment. The server takes it and my husband comes back. This guy is still looking at me but now he's going back and forth between us and I'm getting uncomfortable so I decide to ignore him. I say something quietly to my husband about needing to go to the bank because we're low on cash and just then the server returns, I look at him and the guy is right behind the server and gives me a kind of nod and it occurs to me that he thinks I was trying to rip off my date. It put a bad note on the dinner.

Now I'm thinking that people should just mind their own business.

I probably would have said to the guy, "Can I help you?" or "Are you OK? You seem to need something."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

janedoe (04-30-2015)

I am not trying to be sexist, but I really think this is something women think about more than men. I could be wrong but I never hear guys talking about this kind of thing. We never really care to much about what other people think about us. Which should be obvious by the clothes we wear sometimes. Me personally I wouldn't care at all in this situation, honestly never would have noticed the other guy if I did, would have just nodded in a hello and went on with my day.

One time this really stood out for me was a few years ago I was in a relationship and we were traveling. We pulled into a gas station and I went to fill up she needed to go in for bathroom and for a bottle of water an just said to fill up and and she would pay for it when she got her water. I was like, ok not thinking about it at all. Filled up then pulled up to the front of the gas station to pick her up. She was in line waiting to pay and all the cashiers were prepped and ready for me to drive off, ready to write down my license number and call the cops, they were quickly talking about how I looked like I was going flee the area and so on. Which my date payed for the gas and water and I guess gave them all dirty looks as she did so as they realized she was in line to pay for the gas. She got in the car and we drove off. She proceeded to rant and rave about how these women were thinking I was going to drive off and so on. I laughed and forgot about it. I didn't really care. It was in a town hours from home I would probably never be here again or see those people again in my life and if I did I wouldn't remember them. I really didn't care what they thought and still don't. She was just mad at them all the way home and even mentioned it the next day. So what spoiled the mood for me was she just wasn't able to just let it go and what made me remember it so much. What 2 clerks in a gas station thought about me has no relevance in my life at all. Same as some stranger in a restaurant.

There was a recent article I ran across actually talking about why we worry what others think. You may find it interesting.
    Why Do We Care What Others Think? Our Addiction To The Opinions Of Others ExplainedTom Ferry

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos