Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Epidemic Has Not Slowed Down

The canine flu is still going on in and around Chicago. Two rescues have had to close their doors, no dogs in or out, with many dogs affected. They are having to treat every dog as it is so infectious. I was hoping by now it would have been over with.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    Oh no!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

That's awful!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Talked to our vet and luckily for us still no cases in our area of SW Ohio. Praying they get a handle on this quickly.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

I've heard there have been many cases in Iowa as well.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Yikes, very scary!

Please don't let your vet scare you in to vaccinating for this new flu. The current vaccination available does not protect against this new strain of flu. The majority of dogs will recover well if they do come down with the flu, any strain.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Please don't let your vet scare you in to vaccinating for this new flu. The current vaccination available does not protect against this new strain of flu. The majority of dogs will recover well if they do come down with the flu, any strain.
    Yes, I heard this too. They want a lot of money and my vet wanted to charge $36 each for two rounds of shots and doesn't even protect against the strain that is affecting the dogs. I've been just keeping Wylie in our yard, except for Agility Class and the teacher there said the same thing. People are overreacting a bit, but I understand the concern. I've been told by a few different trainers, that the news is making it worse than it actually is. Oh, there's a surprise!

If you're dog is sick, then take it to the Vet where they can treat it, if you see any symptoms. Our vet's office said all they do is supportive care. Your dog can be a carrier though, so just try to be wise where you take them. I have a big yard and our walks have just been around the immediate neighborhood. So I just keep Wylie away from strange dogs for now. I was taking him to my Father's Assisted Living place, where they use to have dog bowls out front for dogs that visited and I brought Wylie there a few times. One time a lady with a 4 Year old Doberman there, was like Keep your dog away from mine, because of the flu, so I did. After I was done visiting my dad with Wylie, I put him in the car and asked if I "Washed my Hands, Could I please pet her Doberman?" She let me after that, and it was a sweet dog. She even left him in my care for a Few minutes to run out to get something from her car. I'm protective of my dog also, but I do think she was overreacting a bit. Not judging, but I respect her decision and did what she asked. I did notice a couple weeks later, they took the dog bowls out of the front at the Facility my dad was in.
    Hidden Content

Andy
    Hidden Content
    Wylie 2/20/13

Rainbow Bridge Maya 2003-2013

Good thoughts for you guys in Illinois. Wow, you know that even if it's not fatal, it's got to feel horrible for the dogs. It's been a while. I came down with the Swine flu (H1N1) in the 1972 when it ravaged hospital staff members. High fevers, myalgias like being beaten with a club... coughing up green stuff, coughing so hard I cracked a rib. It shouldn't happen to a dog (as they say.)

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    Good thoughts for you guys in Illinois. Wow, you know that even if it's not fatal, it's got to feel horrible for the dogs. It's been a while. I came down with the Swine flu (H1N1) in the 1972 when it ravaged hospital staff members. High fevers, myalgias like being beaten with a club... coughing up green stuff, coughing so hard I cracked a rib. It shouldn't happen to a dog (as they say.)
    I do not disagree, I hate the thought of any dog being sick. I also really hate the idea of possible over-vaccination especially when there is not even a vaccine available for this new strain of flu.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (05-07-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos