Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Other dogs get fleas and ticks...

...Danny gets slugs.

Usually small baby slugs like the one I just picked off his neck after a potty trip in the backyard...which I thought was just a seed pod or some such until I felt the slime. Yuck!

This happens often enough that I really should investigate slug repellent for dogs. (what's funny is that they don't bother the plants on our property because of the kind of mulch we have...why was that little one even out there?)

House Broken Candy and Spike's Dad's Avatar
    I wonder how he is getting slugs. Do you use Sluggo in your yard?

Senior Dog
    I'm sure they're on the plants....he's not that tall...and he just walks into them. I have some nice groundcover in the area he was in this morning (Houttuynia) and they're probably munching there but don't do enough damage for me to notice. His coat is pretty plush and I think they just get sucked in. He mostly picks them up at the park...or along the way to/from.

I used to use Sluggo back when we had a slug problem....works great and so nice to not have to worry about the pooches. None of mine ever showed any interest in anything other than organic fertilizer, though, so that probably wasn't a worry I had to have. We now have rubber mulch instead of wood chips and the slugs don't seem to be around any more (except, I guess, in the Houttuynia). I used to have to Sluggo the heck out of my hostas and daylilies.

I have a feeling with his size, he is getting under plants, on the undersides of the leaves, and they are getting on him. I've had them on my pant legs while wading through the gardens.

Slugs have munched my hostas until I moved them but have not seen them on the daylilies. I think you have more shade than we do.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    I have a feeling with his size, he is getting under plants, on the undersides of the leaves, and they are getting on him. I've had them on my pant legs while wading through the gardens.

Slugs have munched my hostas until I moved them but have not seen them on the daylilies. I think you have more shade than we do.
    The slugs didn't seem to mind being in the sun...where most of my daylilies are. They were relentless. I think you're right about Dan being on the undersides of the plants...especially his head considering all the sniffing going on.

Ewwwww!!!!!! I hate slugs. And the yard is offering up some nice stuff this spring. Anthony had something in his mouth (as he does always) and I thought it was a string which I pulled to take it out of his mouth, it was the tail of a vole.....I almost died......

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Doreen Davis View Post
    Ewwwww!!!!!! I hate slugs. And the yard is offering up some nice stuff this spring. Anthony had something in his mouth (as he does always) and I thought it was a string which I pulled to take it out of his mouth, it was the tail of a vole.....I almost died......
    Gosh...I wonder what happened to the body...

Oh, ick. I hate slugs too. If my dogs were picking them up, getting them off would be husband duty.

Best Friend Retriever
    Ick, slugs are sooo gross.....we always had them around when I was a kid & grew up around Seattle. Now I live in eastern WA & we don't have them, except when we lived on the orchard we had very tiny ones. Now western WA are quite impressive! But what is Sluggo? When I was a kid, we had a dog that had a seizure & the vet was afraid that he had possibly gotten into slug bait, which, at least in those days, was very deadly.....the dog turned out to be fine, so that was not the cause of the seizure.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollysmomma View Post
    Ick, slugs are sooo gross.....we always had them around when I was a kid & grew up around Seattle. Now I live in eastern WA & we don't have them, except when we lived on the orchard we had very tiny ones. Now western WA are quite impressive! But what is Sluggo? When I was a kid, we had a dog that had a seizure & the vet was afraid that he had possibly gotten into slug bait, which, at least in those days, was very deadly.....the dog turned out to be fine, so that was not the cause of the seizure.
    Sluggo is pet friendly slug killer.

Amazon.com : Monterey NLG6510 Sluggo Snail and Slug Bait, 10-Pound : Home Pest Control Traps : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos